Head Injury & Memory Loss
When my son, who will be 12 in less than a month, was an infant, he fell out of the Wal-Mart buggy and hit his head on the floor.  He never developed a bump and after calming him down, he seemed to be okay.  I never thought anything more of it.  Now, I am wondering if it may have caused him to have memory problems.  He is incredibly intelligent, makes straight A's in school, but can't remember to bring his homework home. He can be taught something in class and then get home and not be able to remember how to do it.  He can remember words to songs, lines from books, movies, etc., but I have to remind him to brush his teeth every morning.  He can set something down and five minutes later, have no clue as to where it is.  He loses stuff all the time.  He forgets conversations and when reminded, he has the "Oh yeah" moment.  I don't know what to do.  I guess I figured his memory would come to him, mine has been gone since I got pregnant with him, so I don't know how to help him, but since he is about to be 12 and going into the 7th grade, I am wondering should I seek medical help? I am at my wits end.
HI,

How is your son? Memory loss or amnesia, has multiple causes including a number of chronic medical and psychological conditions, trauma, medications, drug or alcohol abuse, and infections Hed trauma may be another cause.  Depending on the cause, memory loss may have either a sudden or gradual onset, and memory loss may be permanent or temporary. Have him evaluated further to ease your anxiety and  for proper management. A complete physical and neurological examination and some laboratory tests may need to be done to determine the underlying cause.

Take care and keep us posted.
I feel for what you are seeing your son go through. I personally  have a Traumatic Head Injury and after months of hospitilization, months of rehab, and years of disability I have returned to work. Saying this, I understand the effects of short term memory loss like your son. His short term memory loss may or may not be linked to him hitting his head, but that being said I don't know there is much you can do for him. You could have him evaluated, tested etc., but his memory will still be the same as mine was never improved after treatment.

What you Can Do: Start to find new tools for his memory, like a good day phone with to do lists, dayplanners etc. where he will need to start writing things down. Create daily reminders for himself (I use alarms on my cell phone). So just look for ways to help him work around his memory. When it comes to school then have hime study more frequently, get him extra help etc.

Hope this helps