Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
Head injury on the ice

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

Head injury on the ice

I fell backwards during my skating lesson and hit the back of my head a couple of days ago.  I was apparently unconscious for a couple of minutes but then came to and walked off the ice with assistance.  I have no memory of coming off the ice; the first I remember is sitting in a room with my skates off and the ambulance having been called, which I have been told was around 15 minutes after the accident.  

At A&E I was checked over and kept for observation for approx. 5 hours.  During this time I was awake and talking and I can remember the events but none of the conversations I had with hospital staff.  Somehow also during this time my brain played tricks on me and it felt like I was hallucinating or having visual memories of conversations related to the accident that simply cannot have taken place; like being in a parallel universe.  This was quite frightening and thankfully stopped happening after 6 hours or so.  I was given a CT scan (or MRI) and no damage was found so I could go home.

I would love to know from a medial point of view what happened to my brain  following the accident.
Yours
Rattus
In every hospital I have known there is an overnight 24 evaluation of any patient coming to the ER with loss of consciousness. You cannot make the assumption "there was no damage". Usually the problem (pain) starts six to twelve months later due to a subluxion injury. Whenever there is flexure of the neck and head sufficient to cause loss of consciousness there is a high probability of a subluxion (or whiplash) injury. It is impossible to say exactly what happened to cause the halucinations. Sudden blows to the brain from boxing have been known to cause such symptoms. There is still the possibility (though unlikely) of a slow bleed. If you have any problems, especially light sensitivity, return immediately to the ER.