Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
Head

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

Head

Heads been constantly hurting in the lower back part for about a month now, need help or suggestions head/brain ct scan showed normal..idk what else to do or if I should worry. When I'm active it doesn't hurt but before and after it hurts.
Hi!
If there is tenderness on pressing the head and upper neck from outside, then this could be due to spinal nerve compression, inflamed sternocleidomastoid muscle as in TMJ, swollen lymph nodes if you can feel a mass, an abscess if you can feel a mass, or due to a muscle pull.
The spinal nerve compression occurs due to overuse of computers, work involving straining of neck, herniated disc, canal stenosis, bone disease, spondylosis, poor posture etc. A MRI of the cervical spine and nerve conduction studies may be required. Please consult a neurologist. The treatment is to remove the compression. You have to discuss the best treatment option with a neurologist, which can range from medication to steroid injections to physiotherapy to traction, cervical collars or even surgery. Alternatively you can visit a chiropractor or a physical therapist and learn some exercises which you can do to relieve the compression, but consulting a neurologist is a must.
Use a hard bed to sleep. Avoid a pillow. Roll a towel and place it under your neck while sleeping on the back and between head and shoulder when lying on the side. Initially this will be uncomfortable but with time the acupressure will work. Use an analgesic cream or spray. Anti-inflammatory drugs help. Also, you must improve your posture while sitting and working.
Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Thanks you DR this was really helpful and informative. I will be sure to let my Nuerologist know on my first visit, but i dont go for 3 more weeks is there anything i can do to help until then? When i play basketball i hardly notice the strong head pulse after a few mins...but after and before and at bed time is the worst times for the pulse in my head. As for the lump on my neck the doc thought it was a lympnode its still not went down after the course of my antibiotics..its about the size of a penny and its soft but not circular its puffed out in the shape of a line i can feel it most when i turn my neck to the side. Ive also got pressure about my nose, but thanks doc if you could reply to this it would be so greatly appreciated thank you!