Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
Hematoma on head

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

Hematoma on head

I recently had a bad fall, fell backwards and hit my head on cement driveway, had a hematoma pop up immediately almost the size of a baseball.  It knocked me about for a few seconds, my husband is a ct tech so he took me where he works and did a ct scan, it showed a huge hematoma, no skull fracture or bleed and cted me 2 hours later to be sure.  Now a week and a half after the fall I still have a goose egg on my head and still sore, but now I also have a couple of other bumps below the goose egg to pop up, not big but sore. I am still getting headaches and pressure at times.  Any information on what the additional bumps could be, as I refuse to go see a doctor.  
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Are there other symptoms present? It is good that the CT showed normal results. It is difficult to determine the nature of the bumps without direct evaluation. Over-the-counter pain medications may help provide relief. If it persists, have this checked out for proper management. The hematoma will resolve eventually but the headaches may recur due to the trauma.

Take care and keep us posted.
He actually did another ct on me last thursday, but still just show the hematoma, it has been since then that the small bumps have appeared.  Like I said the symptoms are headaches, pressure with the headaches, I also feel the pressure in my ear, one of the small bumps that appeared is about 2 inches directly behind my ear, occasional naseau. Also I didnt realize until last night that I should not be taking ibupropen which I have been taking, so I stopped that and started taking tylenol.  I'm a med tech, I did a CMP, CBC, PT AND PTT on myself and they all look fine, I did the coag because I have gotten several large bruises on my legs since then and have no idea how I got them.  I guess this is pretty much a concussion and seems to be a bad one at that.  
How long does it normally take for the hematoma to dissolve?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

It is good that your blood tests were also fine. This surely helps in ruling out a lot of  differentials. Hematomas, are especially serious when they occur inside the skull, where they may place local pressure on the brain. The resolution of the hematoma will depend on a lot of factors such as the extent of the hematoma and your immune system. Although this could happen in 1 to 2 weeks time.  Applying ice or cold packs a few times for the first day may help. If the area is still painful after about 48 hours, applying gentle heat with warm towels may promote absorption and repair. Since heat causes swelling and increases tissue fluid, which may impair function, hot compresses may be followed by cold applications to minimize the secondary effects of heat. It is also important to know if infection is present: increasing pain, a fever, swelling with surrounding redness, and pus. This usually warrants medical attention.

Take care and keep us posted.