Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
Hit head, headaches and dripping from nose
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Hit head, headaches and dripping from nose

I hit my forehead on a hard plastic object pretty hard, front right side about 72 hours ago.  I expect to have headaches, dizziness and tiredness probably for about a week after this while it sort of works itself out. I went to a doctor around the 36 hour mark and they told me unless I have some major symptoms there is not much I can do but wait.

So my questions is this, today I started having a bit of a nose drip, I am not sure if it is sinus related or if it fluid from the brain.  Is it possible that it is fluid from the brain?  It started around 60 hours after the accident.  I am a little worried, but not sure if it is possible it is fluid or just sinus drip...  Anyone have any perspective on this?

Also, I am wondering is it normal to have neck and upper back stiffness and tightness after this sort of accident?  The doctor didn't seem to hit at any problems, the uncomfortableness comes and goes,  its not constant.

Thanks in advance
Tags: fluid
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
351246_tn?1379685732
Hi
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
If you have stiff neck and a nasal drip, then yes, please consult a doctor immediately. It can be just viral but on a serious side it can be meningeal irritation or infection caused by CSF leak from the brain. Take care!
Blank
Thank you for your reply doctonee,

I am curious why the doctor I visited then did not decide to do more tests when I told them I had a stiff neck and upper back when I was their office.

I am a little surprised to hear that this could develop so many days after the accident..

The stiffness is not constant.  

I am curious how an infection could take place within the body like that without any outside influence in terms of bacteria getting in, can you explain this?

If it is CSF leaking, would that require surgey or are their other ways to stop it?
Blank
351246_tn?1379685732
THE INFECTION CAN GROW THROUGH THE OPENING THAT'S CAUSING THE LEAK--IF AT ALL ONE IS THERE--YOU NEED TO GET THIS EVALUATED.
Blank
There is no more leaking.  I couldn't do much over the weekend and it basically only happend for about 24/36 hours, but it was sticky, not just watery so I suspect it was sinus related as it was not constant.  The location of the tramua was about 2 inches above my eyebrow, not the back of the head or near the nose. I realize things could radiate, but whatever it was has stopped.  I will consider going back to the hospital, but if I have no symptoms they won't do a CT anyway, that's just how things work here..  Thank you again for your help.  I will continually monitor the situation.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...