Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
How rare is it to emerge from a head injury induced coma with little to...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

How rare is it to emerge from a head injury induced coma with little to no memory loss?

My mom brought to my attention a book about 12 year old boy who was in a car accident, descended into a short coma (a few weeks), had brain swelling and woke up not being able to talk for 6 months. Apparently he had no memory loss after the incident. The book sets this up like it was some some of impossible miracle (it also claims the boy visited heaven and hell during his coma as well.) How rare is something like this, is it really as impossible as they make it out to be?
(Btw this book is "non-fiction", well, as non-fiction as a book about a kid visiting heaven in a coma can be)
Anything is possible when it comes to brain injury.  Heard about Bob Woodruff (ABC News anchor)  who suffered severe brain injury and now almost fully functional.  Same note there are so many people with concussion suffering with debilitating symptoms and on disability.  
I don't know about heaven and hell part though.  I personally know a relative who had severe brain injury and almost normal.  I had a mild traumatic brain injury and suffering like anything.