Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
Hydrocephalus Post accident

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

Hydrocephalus Post accident

Hi Anurag,

I am Bharath, my younger brother ( 21 years ) recently met with and accident and had a severe head trauma and has subrochonied heomrage, his condition was very critical and also had a csf leakage from ears and with a great dificulty everything was got under control,after 10 days on we underwent a plastic surgery due fracture in his jaw.

Post hospitalization ( 20 days he was in hospital) exactly after 30  days he started saying head ache and on our vist to doc we got to know it was due to excess csf buildup.

We were said it is due to acquired hydrocephalus ( moderate hydrocephalus non-obstructing ) and placed a shunt on 24th September,2012.

I want to understand the complications of shunt and want to know can he live a normal life. ( study,work, marriage)

Please suggest the precautions and care that needs to be taken.

Your suggestion and expert opinion will be a great help

Bharath
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your brother and am happy to note that he is recovering. The two most common complications of shunt are shunt failure and infection. Hence your brother will need regular follow up for life to see if the shunt is working properly or not. Also, shunt itself can cause problems like dementia, memory problems, headaches, vision problems etc. So, the prognosis differs from case to case. If your brother remains symptoms free then he could take up studies or a job that is not very taxing. It may be difficult to lead a married life if there are recurrent problems. If it is a mild hydrocephalus or a normal pressure hydrocephalus, then maybe he can think about it. It is very difficult to predict his future life. Take care!
Hi Kokil,

Thank you for responding.

I wanted to know how can 1 check if the shunt is functioning properly?,

Are there any tests that has to be done to check the functioning of shunt?

We have visited our surgeon 3 times so far from Sep,2012 but he just spoke to us and asked few questions to my brother and said he is fine.

Please let me know if there are any specific tests that 1 has to go to check if shunt is functioning.

Does Moderate hydrocephalus mean mild hydrocephalus?

Please let me know if you have ever handled any cases like my brother. Also suggest few precautions that we need to take care in his daily life, like sleeping habbits, sleeping style etc.

I am sorry to bug you but it will be a great help if you could help me.

Thanks a ton! :-)

Regards,

Bharath