Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
I felt a pop in my head

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

I felt a pop in my head

Last night I had just laid down to go to sleep when I felt something pop in my head. It was so severe that I actually heard it as well as felt it. I laid there waiting for something serious to happen but the only after effect was a warm sensation travelling over my whole body. The pop was on the left side of my head near the top and back. The best way to describe it is like something burst in my brain. (although I'm sure that if it had then I wouldn't be sitting here typing this)
Today I can feel a burning sensation on the inside of my skull in the same place I felt the pop.
I have suffered with daily headaches for several years and have had 2 MRI scans in the last year, both of which came back ok
I have also recently been diagnosed with vestibular dysfunction, which has caused constant dizziness for the past 8 months.
The pop wasn't anywhere near my ear so I don't think the 2 are connected.
Has anyone ever experienced a similar pop before? And does anyone have any idea what this could be.

Thanks,
Emma
Wow, don't ask us, I think you should be checking with a Dr!!!
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
The popping sound could be the Eustachian tube clearing up. Often this is taken as a popping sound in head. It can be due to high BP or even due to a pinched nerve. It is difficult to say what it was. Get your BP checked. Also consult the ENT regarding this.
Hope this helps. Take care!
Hi Emma

It sounds like something I experienced about 6 weeks ago.  
I'm a fitness instructor and in good health but got such a shock when I was just falling asleep and it felt like something burst in my head.  My head was tingling and I couldn't stand (understandably it was shock) I got such a fright.  When I finally stood my knees were knocking but then realised that if I was standing it was nothing bad though everything in my head and neck was tingling like menthol had been spread on it.  Went to the docs just in case and he did a motor test to make sure it wasn't some form of mini-stroke.  Everything was fine.

Believe it or not, this is called Exploding Head Syndrome.  Usually just before or after you drop into a deep sleep - people who are stressed, tired or insomniacs especially.  I'm a night owl.
http://www.sleepassociation.org/index.php?p=explodingheadsyndrome

Check out Exploding Head Syndrome anyway and see if it ties up to what you experienced - hopefully that is all and it's nothing to worry about.

Take care
What happened to me was more of a pain than a popping sound. It felt like the side of a 25 cent hit the top of my head. Was that BSI or  Eustachian tube clearing up? Both my ears clog then clears up then clogs again.
Well it's been 2 and a half years since I posted this and I still don't know exactly what caused this but it was most likely an arachnoid granulation popping and expelling csf. Since posting this I was diagnosed with superior canal dehiscence syndrome. Which is a fancy way of saying I have a hole in one of my semicircular canals. The canals help you to balance so when they don't work properly you become very dizzy. I also got diagnosed with cochlear otosclerosis and atypical Menieres. I had surgery to fix the hole in my canal and whilst my surgeon was moving my brain out of the way about half a dozen arachnoid granulations burst and I sprung a leak. He said my dura was very thin. He had to take muscle facia from my skull to fix the holes. Apparently most people have arachnoid granulations and they are the bodies way of expelling cerebral fluid out of your head where it is usually absorbed by the blood stream. So perhaps what I felt was that. I know that it wasn't exploding head syndrome because I wasn't even close to sleep as I had only just lied down. Anyway, thought I would share my theory with you and give you all a little update.
Ps. The op didn't work and I've had another op that didn't work either. So I am still dizzy every day with sound sensitivity issues too :(
A year and a half ago I had a severe pop in my rear left side of my head while driving. I pulled over to the nearest exit and was in shock for about 20 minutes. I should of went to the hospital but didn't. Symptoms went away after a couple hours. Flash forward to 5 months ago I had a similar one but not as extreme and a warm fluid feeling afterward on same side of head. Today, I have neurological problems on right side of body including fasculations mainly in arms and fibromalgia or ALS like symptoms. I've had CT and MRI scans that came back normal recently. I wonder if what I experience today has something to do with those small bursts in my rear left side of my head?