Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
I know I have something as a result of my TBI but why won't anyone...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

I know I have something as a result of my TBI but why won't anyone tell me

All my labs come back normal but I have not weighed less than 150 pounds since 1995.  I am 5'6 and in 1997, I started gaining weight gradually and since then I have even trained for and run like 5 half marathons but I never lost more than 10 pounds the whole 9 months that I trained and my weight is stuck going no lower than 170.  I gained 8 dress sizes and none of my clothes fit, I had to buy a whole new wardrobe and on disability that is not easy.  I've had tests for hypopituitarism and hypothyroidism but the doctor says my tests are all normal but my body is not and I am so tired and depressed I hate my body and I just want to go die and be with my Dad who passed away in Dec. '09 and I am sorry for being so sad but I hate my life and need something to change.  My psychiatrist wanted to put me on thyroid medicine but the endocronologist said NO and I am beyond sad and frustrated.  What can I do to improve my situation?  Please help me.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Common causes like overeating, lack of exercise, diabetes, hypothyroidism (this ruled out) have to be ruled out in your case. You must then look for other causes. One is water retention due to low serum protein. This along with anemia can cause unexplained weight gain. Adrenal gland problems are the other cause. Cushing’s syndrome should be looked for. The kidney function too should be assessed. Late night snacking and poor sleep too can cause weight gain. Polycystic ovary too causes weight gain, hence has to be ruled out by an ultrasound of abdomen.  Certain medications like antidepressants cause weight gain.
Please consult your PCP to rule out these causes one by one. Hope this helps. Take care!

I do not overeat and I love to exercise, have trained for and ran 5 half marathons.  So that I inherited the bunion from my Mom and haven't been running and have experienced more symptoms of hypothyroidism.  It is not ruled out, I was in a car accident and suffered a severe traumatic brain injury and my weight gain started 2 years after my accident and running my half marathon would not let me loose more than 10 pounds and now since I am not running, I swim though, I have gained 20 pounds well this morning on the scale 10 lbs but still.  I have been on an antidepressant since 1997 and I have also been on bipolar medicine even though I'm not bipolar just brain injured.

Hypothyroidism is definitely not ruled out by a long shot.  I have all the symptoms and I read a book by a doctor, Dr. Stark who had hypothyroidism and he said doctors need to look at the symptoms before they rule out hypothyroidism because of blood.  I read another book titled:  Why do I still have symptoms when my blood tests are normal?
I sleep more now than I ever have.  A side effect of hypothyroidism is excessive thirst and I have the excessive thirst and I do not have diabetes.  
Thanks for trying but my PCP has tried and he referred me to an endocronologist who I am trying to convince and hopefully she did enough research to find out that hypothyroidism is common after severe TBI.  
Thanks but it is not that simple if you factor in everything.