Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
Level of head injury/concussion?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

Level of head injury/concussion?

Years ago I fell off my horse at a big show, and I hit shoulder and head first. I don't remember if I picked myself off the ground or if someone picked me up. I just remember crying, and later on I had blurred vision- if I tried opening my eyes everything was fuzzy and my head pounded. I was also nauseated and just wanted to sleep afterwards. A local doctor checked me out a day later, but never did much. I had headaches for 3 months or so- some days going home from school early since it hurt so bad, the tears would just roll. Also, 10+ years later my one pupil is always slightly dialated more than the other. I was just curious what level of concussion did I have or how bad was the head injury? I don't have problems now, but I guess I'm more curious than anything.
Hi!
If you have unequal pupils, but the difference between the two pupils is less than 2mm, then this is physiological variation. If it is more than 2 mm then it could be due to pathologic anisocoria. This is due to an abnormality in the musculature of the iris or in the parasympathetic or sympathetic innervations to the pupil. It is also a sign of serious brain injury. Aneurysms, bleed in the brain, glaucoma, meningitis and tumors also cause unequal pupil size.
In your case, probably, there is a physiological variation or it may be due to disrupted parasympathetic and sympathetic nerve supply to the iris. It is unlikely to be due to serious brain injury or a brain bleed because this would cause lingering signs of neurological deficits such as weakness in a leg or arm, loss of sensation, difficulty in sight or speech etc. Also, since you are now otherwise fit, there is hardly any chance that you have concussion unless you have memory and other problems. If the pupil difference is large then brain aneurysm and glaucoma should also be ruled out. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.