Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
Light Headedness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

Light Headedness

Hi, around three months ago I was knocked off my bike and took a blow to the head on the curb. I was knocked out and the next thing I remember was being at the hospital. I was there for hours and they sent me home saying I was fine. A week later I went back as I was suffering quite bad light headed spells and dizziness. They looked at both my retina and sent me home again saying they were reluctant to do a CT because of the unnecessary exposure and that I was fine. Since then I've continued to have moderate to severe light Headedness which doesn't seem to be getting any better (or worse). It occurs every time I stand up or sit down, if I tilt my head back or forward, and if I bed down etc. it's starting to become a pain and I'm wondering if this is something stop in time or whether I need to go and see the doctor again? Thanks
Hi!
Please go to the doctor again. In your case, dizziness could be due to postural hypotension (blood pressure falling with change of position), internal ear problems and cervical spondylitis or compression of cervical spinal nerves. All these cause dizziness when you get up from lying down position or when you change position that results in a change in the level of your head. Cervical spondylitis and ear problems also cause dizziness on changing the position of the neck. Please discuss these possibilities with your treating doctor.  Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Thanks for the advice, that's splendid. Very much appreciated.
In all United States Hospitals I know of, unless the patient signs themselves out, loss of consciousness mandates admission and 24 hour observation. The biggest problem is swelling and there is only a short window of opportunity to treat. During this period of time blood prressure is constantly monitored.  I would go to another hospital, preferably a teaching hospital, for a neurological evaluation. I am not a happy camper with the way in which you were treated. I would suggest an MRI, rather than a CT.