Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
Loss of smell and taste

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

Loss of smell and taste

I had a head injury 2 months ago and lost my sense of smell and taste, i understand it takes time to come back if it can? But im having a constant smell like i have my head in a pot of paint, or bad powder? Has anyone had these sensations and had their smell regained? I starting to get me down now, chin up i guess, :-)
Dear Semolina,

Chin up is the thing!

2 months is too short a time after a head injury (which has caused to a region of the brain) for full recovery in the function lost. I have not personally suffered from any such injury, but did have one patient who had this experience. He felt the smell of petrol. Though there was no complete recovery, he eventually improved.

Best wishes
I two have sufferd from a head injury, very simular to yours.  I was thrown off a golf cart and hit the back of my head on the pavement. middle of the back of my head.  concusion, bruised on brain and some bleeding.  I have no sense of small and little taste.  If very scary.  My Dr, like yours can not tell me if I will re gain them.  I miss the smell of flowers and the simple thing like making sure my skin smell nice.  I know how you feel.  I wish some one could tell us the change of getting our senses back and when have we passed the hope stage
I too have suffered a concussion to back of head and 0% smell taste.  I miss smell the most, everything seems so flat.  It's been only a month for me, I have hope for all of us..
I fell out of a golf cart too.  Hit the back of my head pretty hard.  Got Catscan & MRI and other than the giant bump, the Dr.'s saw very little.  I have zero smell and barely any taste.  There was a couple of days where I thought I smelled gasoline, then dirt.  No one else smelled it?  This happened in Feb. 2010.  Curious if you have made any progress since your accident?
Hi-
It's been two years for me since my skull fracture, and no sense of smell has come back yet.  Yes, I had the smell of gasoline and other poisonous things.  It comes in waves.  I think it's related to humidity and temperature, but not sure.  I've made all my friends promise to let me know if I offend them....
Would love to talk more to others who have this same issue.  Most don't understand.
My husband also had a skull fracture 6 weeks ago & now has no smell or taste except something nasty. He's getting very frustrated & mad  about this. The doc says its probably permanent. Is there anything I can do to help him? Thanks,  Merg
Beginning to think golf carts are more dangerous than they seem!  My son was recently thrown out of one and suffered a concussion.  It's been five weeks and he continues to have horrible headaches.  He also has lost sense of taste and smell.  Drs. already telling him it's probably permanent, but I keep hoping they are wrong.  How are you all coping with no sense of smell/taste?  It's devastating to think of life without either and some situations could potentially be dangerous.  Any helpful information would be appreciated.
I had a mild traumatic brain injury 1 year 3 months ago and my sense of smell and taste is not lost but everything smells something totally crazy and obnoxious and can't even describe.  

I wish it is completely gone.  It is totally devastating and I get depressed when people say this is delicious and that is great and after my injury I heard it quite often or may be notice.

In your son's case it is too early to say it may be permanent.  You have to wait for at least 6 months to 1 year and again there are people who got it back after 2 years.  Nothing much can be done medically.  So good luck keep praying.
i had brain surgery 8/18 and I can't smell alot of things. It is depressing. I can't smell fresh cut grass. i baked a cake and i couldn;t smell it. It's been 3 1/2 months since surgery. I can't smell Clorox . Doctor said eight months, is there anyone out there that went back to normal? I have one smell for everything and it's not a smell I remember. Food, meat mostly tastes like the smell. Horrible
. pls tell me it gets better.
It got better for me.  Not sure things I did helped me like  B12 supplement (helps nerve regeneration), HBOT, Neurofeedback etc.,   It may be 60-70% but definitely manageable and it took about 2 years.  You are only 3 and half months and the numbers doctors give is random.  No one can predict.  Keep up hope.
I HAD BRAIN SURGERY 8/7/2009, TUMOR WAS WRAPPED AROUND, MY SENSE OF SMELL, DOCTOR PREFORMED SURGERY SUCESSFULLY, MY SMELL IS FINALLY TRYING TO RETURN, PERFUME REALLY BOTHERS ME NOW, I AM ALLERGIC TO IT NOW MY EYES, IT'S IN THE BACK OF MY MOUTH IT ALSO GIVES ME A SLIGHT HEADACHE. TASTE HAS'NT RETURNED YET, HAVE'NT SMELL GASOLINE. BUT I DO SMELL CLOROX SOMETIMES, I AM HOPEFUL AFTER BEING DEPRESS FOR A WHILE, BECAUSE I KNOW IT WILL RETURN ONE DAY.
In 2009 I was thrown off of a golf cart and had a skull fracture and severe concussion. I also lost my sense of taste and smell. Luckily, my parents are trying everything they can to help me gain it back. I currently am going to a Psychologist that is certified in Neurotherapy/Bio-feedback and I see him once a week. My anxiety has increased, I have headaches, and fatigue, but I am thinking it is because this method is working. He hooks me up to electrodes and they are sent to my brain. I play "games" to get my SMR up and my theta and beta down. I firmly believe that my fatigue is connected with me starting to smell things again and my body is not used to it, considering it has been 3 years since I've smelled anything. Since I am only 19 and this happened when I was 16, it took a huge toll on my life. I pray everyday that this doctor/psychologist can change my life forever. I wish you all the best luck in gaining yours back too. If the neurotherapy works, I will make sure and let people know how it changed my life.
I fractured my skull Jan 2012 with bleeding, loss of consciousness all after a seizure.  Two week later I lost my sense of taste and smell and later developed a bad taste/smell.  Eating is NOT pleasant.  I no longer enjoy pleasant scents.  I only apply perfume I know smells good to me.  I've lost 30 pounds simply because I can hardly stand the taste of food.  It could be worse, I could have lost my eye sight or hearing.  I try to look at it that way.  But I never realized how much I enjoyed scents and I really miss it and it.      
I am so sorry to hear this. I can relate in some ways I lost my sense of smell a month ago, banging my head. It is so hard not to be depressed and am glad to talk to people on here! Sometimes reading stories makes me sad for others more than myself, you being one of those I send you positive energy and said a prayer for you. I hope you keep posting! Take care! jen  
Hey. I had a neck injury 4 months bak and it caused me my smell and taste. I went around the world to get chekedup and look for answers. A world renowned doctor told me that smell is the only sense in human body tat has an ability to regain to its potential. But never told me how long it takes , i suppose it depends on person to person. But believe me after hearing this from a good doctor i got motivated and now surprizingly i can slowly smell things. LOOK FOR INDIAN YOGA(pranayam). We can do it guys. If this post is useful mesage me on afhaam.***@****
What is your e-mail??
I too had a brain injury.  Nov 18, 2012.  Fainted and have now lost my sense of smell and an extremely distorted sense of taste.  It is so disgusting.  Metallic flavor that overpowers all food.  I am so tired of this feeling but more just afraid it won't get better.  My family loves to eat and I love to entertain.  We love wine and travel.  This is definitely a challenge.  How long does this crazy taste last?  Does it matter what you eat? Any tricks for improvement?  I would love to hear about successful treatments
Oh my I thought I was going crazy, I have a sense of like burning or it is hard to explain.
WAS WONDERING IF YOUR SMELL EVER CAME BACK. I WAS INA GOLF CART ACCIDENT AS WELL! PLEASE LET ME KNOW