Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
Neurological changes related to head injury?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

Hi. I've recently had several head injuries, one about six months ago, one four months ago, one about 2 months ago. Each time I fell and hit the left side of my head. There was no external/visible injury. Each time I became unconscious for about 5 - 10 minutes. After the last episode, friends say they witnessed me seizing. I woke up with little memory about what had happened. I was seen by a doctor who checked all my basic functions, which were fine, but did not have any formal tests done. Since then, I have been prone to dizziness (not vertigo, but lightheadedness), fainting, headaches, tremors in the hands and twitches in facial muscles and legs, disturbed dreams, irritability, sensitivity to smells and funny tastes, trouble focussing vision, sleeping problems, as well as facial numbness on my right side. I also have increasingly troubling issues with memory, and performing simple tasks. I'm finding it very difficult to concentrate. My blood pressure is normal, I eat and drink regularly, my blood sugar levels are normal. I have had a basic set of blood tests, all normal. I have also had some funny heart palpitations for which I have had an ECG/EKG and a Holter Moniter test, which were normal. I am wondering if any of these symptoms warrant neurological investigation, as none of my doctors seem to think this is necessary.
Thank you for any advice you have.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Oh! Yes! You must have a MRI of brain at least. The symptoms you are facing could be pain simple epilepsy, or it could be a subdural hematoma, or bleed in the train or a tumor. Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral. Alternatively you can visit an ER.
Hope this helps. Do let me know if there is any thing else and keep me posted. Take care!
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Thank you kindly for your help. I have since had a CT scan in the emergency department after having another episode of fainting, seizing and memory loss. The scan was clear. I'm wondering if it is possible there might be something that a CT scan would miss. Would it be beneficial for me to have an MRI? My doctor thinks this is unecessary. I am also on the waiting list to have an EEG. Which tests are most helpful do you think?
Thank you.
Both EEG and MRI of brain and cervical spine should be done. Get EEG done and if this is normal then MRI should be done.