Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
Numbness in the back of head??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

Numbness in the back of head??

About 4 years ago while lying in bed I noticed my head would get numb, a falling asleep feeling, while lying on it.  It happened only that one night.  About 3 months ago it happened again, but for about a week and only while lying on the back of my head on the pillow.  Well, now, it is doing it again, but worse (for about two weeks now).  It now happens while lying down on my pillow rather it be on the back of my head or side of my head.  A few nights ago I noticed it getting worse.  Normally I would feel it coming on so I would lie on my side and it would be ok. Now, that doesn't work and my head still falls "asleep."   I sometimes have to sit up to get it to feel any better but it doesn't really work.  I woke up today with a slight feeling of numbness and I got up and it has now been 2 hours since I woke up and the back of my head still has a tingling/numbness/coldness feeling to it.  What is this?  I'm a 27 yr old stay at home mom.  110 pounds.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  I will be making an appt soon.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
There is a chance that you have compression of the spinal nerves in the cervical spine region. This can happen due to overuse of computers, work involving straining of neck, herniated disc, canal stenosis, bone disease, spondylosis, poor posture etc. A MRI of the cervical spine and nerve conduction studies may be required. Please consult a neurologist. The treatment is to remove the compression. You have to discuss the best treatment option with a neurologist, which can range from medication to physiotherapy to traction, cervical collars or even surgery. Alternatively you can visit a chiropractor or a physical therapist and learn some exercises which you can do to relieve the compression, but consulting a neurologist is a must.
Use a hard bed to sleep. Avoid a pillow. Roll a towel and place it under your neck while sleeping on the back and between head and shoulder when lying on the side. Initially this will be uncomfortable but with time the acupressure will do wonders. Use an analgesic cream or spray. Anti-inflammatory drugs help.
Since I cannot examine you and know other related conditions you may be having, nor is a detailed history possible on net, I have listed the various possibilities that should be looked into. Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral.
Take care!
I have the same thing happening to me right now! May I ask what you found out since your post?