Old head injury
Hello. I was wondering if anybody here could help out with something.

Around three or four years ago I was kicked repeatedly in the head for reasons I won't go into, and knocked unconscious. Although I didn't realise it at the time, a doctors examination years later revealed a step in my skull which I was told was possibly an old fracture.

More recently, around a year ago, while performing a handstand (again for reasons I won't go into) I felt shooting pains right down one side of my body, and suffered severe headaches for weeks afterwards. Although i was examined both in the emergeny room, and by a GP during this time, I was never x-rayed, and was just given pain killers.

What worries me is that still, years after either of these incidents, I often get headaches, or just feelings of mugginess or difficulty concentrating, and I feel as though putting pressure on my left temple, where the old fracture is, can cause me to have both of these symptoms. Even wearing a hat often gives me a headache or makes me feel like my head is full of cotton wool.

What I'd like to know is if that skull fracture from years ago could be having some lingering effect, and if so, if there is anything I can do about this. This is the sort of question I would normally ask my GP, but the last time I did, I was treated as though I was making a fuss about nothing. I'm particulary concerned since I do full contact sports.

Sometimes, patients of head trauma present with neurological manifestations after treatment also. This depends on the area of brain involved and the extent of damage to that area. These may include temporary or permanent weakness, numbness, difficulty speaking, persistent symptoms such as memory loss, dizziness, headache, anxiety, and difficulty concentrating. These may be present for months after treatment also.

When a person sustains a head injury its impossible to predict how much they will recover and how long it will take. There is no formula to tell you which results are permanent and which are temporary.

I feel that you should get a CT or MRI brain done to see if there is any long term sequelae of the skull fracture on the brain.A consultation of a neurologist will be the best.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thanks for your help. I guess I'll try to talk my GP into referring me for an MRI.