Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
Pain in base of head, neck and shoulder

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

Pain in base of head, neck and shoulder

I have been suffering from what I was told was tension headaches for a long time now.  I have tightening pain and the bottom of my brain (feels like someone is squeezing it). Knots on the back of my head mostly on the right side (I have 2 on the right and 1 on the left at the moment). Also my neck and right shoulder hurt feels numb tender and hurts from my shoulder to the base of my head. With all of this I have non-stop headaches.

Hi!
There is a chance that you have compression of the spinal nerves in the cervical spine region. This can happen due to overuse of computers, work involving straining of neck, herniated disc, canal stenosis, bone disease, spondylosis, poor posture etc. A MRI of the cervical spine and nerve conduction studies may be required. Please consult a neurologist.
Use a hard bed to sleep. Avoid a pillow. Roll a towel and place it under your neck while sleeping on the back and between head and shoulder when lying on the side. Initially this will be uncomfortable but with time the acupressure usually works. Use an analgesic cream or spray. Anti-inflammatory drugs  and muscle relaxants also help. Also, you must improve your posture while sitting and working. Manual therapy, traction, cervical collar, neck exercises etc should all be tried as all these can help relieve pain. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.