Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
Personality Disorders following brain surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

15 months ago my husband had a massive benign brain cyst removed. He had numerous symptoms for many years, including back and walking problems. Although we had tried to get him to see a doctor for at least 6 years before he was diagnosed he refused. He was finally diagnosed when he was put on medical leave for falling asleep while talking to a patient (surprise, surprise  - another doctor who doesn't mind his own health).

Prior to the surgery, I spoke to the chief of neurology regarding the classic personality symptoms for condition, which he described as flat, withdrawn, angry, distant, etc. etc. I was assured that everything would return to normal following recovery. Well, it hasn't. He was subject to a long recovery and testing before he returned to work as a physician, so whatever part of the brain is responsible for his intellectual function seems unaffected. Also, his physical symptoms, including massive hand shaking like Parkinson's seems to have disappeared. But, his personality has not returned. Overall, he is less angry, but he is more distant and, frankly, odder around his family, including his daughter. He seems out of touch or sync with the world around him. He is also more paranoid so we can't get him to go back to a doctor (recall he only went to one in the first place when he was put on medical leave for falling asleep with a patient).

Is this type of personality disorder common after removal of a massive benign cyst? Is there anything that can be done? I would love to speak to his own physicians but he works with them on a daily basis so it seems inappropriate.
Hi!
The personality change after a brain surgery depends a lot on the area of brain affected. So yes, it is possible for your husband to become less tuned to his family, and show odd behavior. It is also possible that he is going through post traumatic stress after his surgery because this must have been very traumatic for him. You need to talk to his doctors in confidence (even if they are colleagues, they will maintain professional confidentiality with you). Take care!