Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
Pinching in back of head?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

Pinching in back of head?

I have had a weird pinching sensation in the back top part of my head for a while now. Recently they have become more frequent (lasting about 3-4 seconds, 2-3 times a day), and have affected my thinking. Is this a pinced nerve? I've been stressed lately, but I have little time for a doctor. Is this something that needs medical attention or destressing?
Thanks for writing in.

It seems that you might be having these headaches commonly known as ice-pick headaches. They are sharp, split second pains which typically occur in top and the sides of the head. They are considered to be benign and are seen more commonly in persons with a history of migrane (migraine). They are also difficult to describe as the duration is very short.

These types of pain usually do not require any medication because the pain comes & goes so suddenly/quickly that there's no time for any pain medications to act. In such a case you can try relaxation techniques (try to remain calm and take slow, deep breaths) when the headache strikes.  
The diagnosis is based on the duration, time course of the headache along with the factors that aggravate/relieve the pain and the age of the patient. I would advise you to consult a doctor for a complete examination if the headache is troubling you.

Regards