Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
Please answer me

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

Please answer me

Please let me know my younger brother met with an accident a serious head injury was happened.some part of bone was removed now they are replacing titanuim mesh.I am getting worry about his future.i dnt know wht to do and also after doing 1st surgery he is not able to speek slowly he got to apeek single words.doctors are saying that it will take time to get speech but one of the junior doctor said only 10% chances are there for speech from that day i am getting lot of tension about my brother.i took second opinion from the other doctor he also said it will take time to get speech i dnt know whom to belive.You people have experiance in this case please explain me about this and also wht r the things steps i have to took for his impovment.pleae answer me
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Brain injury is a complicated thing. If your brother has regained speech, he may recover with time. However whether there will be full or partial recovery cannot be predicted on net. What you can do is arrange a neuro-psychiatric consultation to assess his cognitive and motor losses post injury and surgery. This assessment will throw some light on your brother’s condition. It is natural for you to worry, but there is nothing much that you can do except to get his situation assessed and help him with physiotherapy and moral support. Take care!
As you have been informed, brain injury's are highly complicated and unpredictable. A serious injury to the brain which was operated on can't be assessed as to how the patient will respond to therapy, or time, until the Doctors can begin to see how quickly they are recovering their basic motor skills following the operation. Even then, the final outcome is extremely difficult to assess after the injury and operation.  I advise you to find the home page for brain injury support groups. There is tons of information on these pages which will help you understand what your brother may go through while recovering and how it affects family members. Personality changes are quite common following trauma to the brain. Recovery is usually slow, difficult and the patient will need lots of support from the family throughout it all. The Doctors responses are not conflicting each-other, they just can't give you answers to the questions you ask. All they can do is offer you hope and give you updates on how is recovering day to day. It's time to turn to the home pages on the Web that offer excellent information on what to expect, aide that may be available,and the road your brother, you and your family have entered onto now that he has injured his brain. I hope for his sake and yours that he makes a full recovery. Yet, read the pamphlets around the ward he is in, ask his Doctors what web pages offer the best information and then go and read all that you can deal with at this point and time.  Brain injuries are a very slow recovery process that take months and months in most cases. The final outcome is impossible to predict even months down the line. Physical Rehabilitation is a critical part of recovery. I sincerely wish your brother much luck in a full recovery, and you the strength and willpower you will need to support him through this ordeal.