Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
Sevre headaches at base of skull

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

Sevre headaches at base of skull

Dear Drs,
I was in a bad car accident in 1988 and had head trama, bleeding on the brain and a broken neck, C7. In the last 3 years I have been getting sevre headaches and they stem from the base of my skull. I have tried over the counter pain meds and chiropratic but nothing works. The headaches have gotten a lot more sevre in the last month. I went to my family Dr and he ordered a CT scan and a MRI. I did my CT scan on Saturday and the Dr called to say that there is bruising on my brain but it is not near the pain at the base of my skull. My MRI is scheduled for next week and the Dr said they will now do a more in depth MRI after finding the bruising. What is your thougts on what is causing my headaches and are they related to the bruising? Why would I have bruising now with no recent head trama?

The post-concussion syndrome or PCS lasts for weeks, months, or occasionally years after a concussion or moderate to severe cases of traumatic brain injury. It is seen in 38–80% of mild head injuries.
The nature of the symptoms tends to change over time. They are most commonly of a physical nature (headache) following the injury, but tend to become predominantly psychological (difficulty concentrating, irritability) later.

The outlook is generally excellent, with total resolution of symptoms within a few days to several weeks or until six months. It is only in a small minority of people, that the symptoms may persist for years or be permanent. It is very rare that permanent neurological symptoms result from an uncomplicated concussion.  

The headache might be related to your past injury and a definitive diagnosis can be made only through MRI scan.

Hope it helps. Take care

I went to a chyropractor and he over extended my neck causing my my Aorta Arterie to tear then clog resulting in bleeding in my head and then a stroke..I came recovered my speach and balance ...er mobility pretty fast, like with in a month or two if i remember right. though my memory is horrid like it feels as if my short term has been damaged and noise though didn't bother me till recently ...noise hurts my head now and causes me anxiety. now though to my issue...because of troubles resultinging from the stroke..my kids lived with their daddy..i beleave he is abusive to them. On a few ocassions he didn't let me take the boys after being punished..but i feel as if i see a dark area of darker skin on my 5 year olds jaw line near his ear wich would go along with the size of his daddy's hand and the stories my son tells of his daddy...Question..is there a way to find out if those are damaged skin areas from abuse? or is their scans that can be done to my little guys that can tell if they've been shaken, thrown, or grabbed agressivly?