Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
Sleep disorder as a symptom of Traumatic Brain Injury

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

Good day!
I found this address in the internet in search of traumatic brain injury.
I have scanned pictures of my MRI for the 2 different types of mediums used (i.e. paper-backed of 4 pages and film medium of 2 pages). This MRI was taken more than 4 years ago in St. Luke's in the Philippines.
Ever since my accident more than 9 years ago (where I was hit by a car causing the head trauma which left me comatose for 9 days I think), my sleep has been very erratic and now it only averages about 2-4 hours a night. I've encountered an abcnews video more than 4 years ago about a 3 year-old boy then who also had an average sleep of only 2 hours a night. He was then diagnosed with Arnold-Chiari Malformation where one of the symptoms could be sleeplessness, and this diagnosis was made possible via MRI of the brain stem (I was wondering though how I could send it out, as the MRI of my brain stem would be shown in the 3rd slide of the paper-backed file, because only then could it show if I also suffer from this). Although in the boy's case, it's genetic, I've however read this could be triggered by external factors, in my case the accident.
I feel however, that my sleeplessness is more of a symptom of my neurological muscle disorder (Myoclonus was the diagnosis then although the symptoms do not appear to match mine) arising from my accident.
I would also wonder if damage to my auditory nerves can be seen in the MRI.
I'm aware though that doctors would be very busy.  But since there’s an available forum here, then I took the chance.

Thanks and have a good day!
Hi!
Yes, people who have suffered traumatic brain injury often have sleep disorders including insomnia. So many years after head injury you could probably be prescribed anti-depressants for it. However, it is best to avoid them. Follow a normal sleep pattern of sleeping at a particular time. Do not sleep during the day. Talk a walk before bed time. Drink something warm like a glass of hot chocolate or milk at bed time. Also, other causes of insomnia such as physical or emotional stress, depression, allergies, asthma, high blood pressure, heart disease, arthritis, hyperthyroidism, and sleep apnea. Should be ruled out.Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Hi, doctor!  Thanks for taking the time!  I think I was prescribed anti-depressant but they didn't work for me.  I think my insomnia is more of a symptom of my muscle-disorder termed as Myoclonus.  The only drug to reduce my hand tremors was Piracetam, but I think I've grown immunity from it.
I can rule out other causes of insomnia you listed.
Again, thank you.
I made 2 additional posts as I thought I was able to delete them.  Sorry!