Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
Smoking weed after head trauma, safe?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

Smoking weed after head trauma, safe?

By boyfriend of 20 was recently in a terrible train and car collision.  It hit on his friends side that killed his friend instantly.  My boyfriend was lifeflighted and the neurologist believed he would not make it.  He has severe brain and brain stem damage.  The doctors have a neuro scale of 1 to 15 (15 being the best, like us), he was a three.  He miraculousy woke up and is in rehabilitation doing very well and seems to be himself for the most part.  SunshineDreams has posted Smoking weed after head trauma, safe?.  His accident was also terrible but I believe my boyfriend is in worse shape.  He smokes pot and I'm terrified how that will affect him.  I don't think he should smoke until a year when the brain is considered the most it will heal.  I know there hasn't been any studies but I need advice.
Smoking anything is really bad for a person's health.  When a person has already taken a hit to his or her health, there is a delicate balance of the body trying to do the best it can and the damage or disease pushing back.  Taking herbs, illegal drugs, eating badly, drinking alcohol, smoking, wrong doses of megavitamins, not enough or too much water, over-exertion -- can make a person feel worse not better.  

He will be ultimately depressed and has already shown he has an addictive behavior -- the best thing you can encourage your friend to do is to get therapy or counseling to figure out how to wrap his head around his changed life and how he is going to get on with life and what he can do to make himself feel better, not worse.  He has an opportunity to help others by telling his story or to sit in a bed a sink into a bed and feel sorry for himself.  Getting a purpose to life always helps. Smoking weed is the wrong way to go.

Please understand that marijuana is harmful, just like alcohol and cigarettes.  On top of that it is illegal - try being miserable in jail.

Can you be strong and get him away from this stuff?
who ever made the last coment obviously isnt a smoker and thinks it's so bad when it isnt neer as bad as you think in alot of cases after head trauma seizures are a risk and i reserched that weed helps stop seizures in epileptics. so im reely not sure if its good or bad at this point since im in the same boat trying to figure out if it is ok.
weed  is  not  drug.  its  a  plant!  I  would  rather  have  my  fiance'  smoke  weed  than  cigarettes.he  had  a  brain  injury  15  yrs  ago. it  relaxes  him,  he  lost  his  sense  of  smell. he  has  seizures. smoking  weed  is  better  than  sniffing  paint,  bleach,  other  chemicals.  there  is  something  very  wrong  with  people,  u  shoot  down  things  u  r  very  ignorant  about.  his  meds keeps  him  alive,  weed  lets  him  cope. it  is  an  individual  choice.  if  a  person  started  to  pick  lawn  grass and  smoke  it  that  would  be  an  uproar,  that  has  pesticides and  grass  seed in  it.

Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Prolonged smoking of weed can cause memory and other cognitive problems. Hence it should be smoked with caution in people who have suffered from brain injury. For those on weed, often it is difficult to know whether the symptoms are due to head injury or due to weed.
It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Doctornee has brought out some excellent points.

Smoking pot will both mask symptoms and make it difficult to perform a proper neurological evaluation.

Pot also inhibits the desire to improve oneself and learn, both important factors in rehabilitation, when you are trying to make a part of the brain take over new functions.
As a past regular, daily weed smoker I can tell you that while weed is relatively harmless. After head trauma, it is just plain negligent  to smoke. He should be more concerned about his injuries and recovering fully. If he recovers as well as he can then you consider the pros and cons of it affecting his health. Not to mention there are safer ways to get high other than smoking. No offense, but after he has experienced that incident and the fact that he continues to smoke shows that he might not even want to recover. I suggest getting someone that has an influence on him to talk to him about it, preferably someone he knows is educated on cannabis and it's effects.

I am a old "stoner". I also have been given a brain injury in the late months of 2008. I used to smoke a lot of weed so part of me wishes to do so but take one month breaks in between my smoking sessions. I am just worried about how it will effect my healing, because I am in rehab for my brain injury, and I would like to smoke a little before a movie socially with friends. What do you suggest I do?
Research has begun to accumulate over the past few years showing that cannabinoids are neuroprotective against brain injury resulting from toxins, hypoxia, and head trauma. Cannabinoids are, loosely, chemicals that are similar in structure to the psychoactive components in cannabis and/or chemicals that activate the cannabinoid receptor system in the body. Researchers have found protective effects not only from the plant-derived cannabinoids such as THC, but also from endogenous cannabinoids (those occurring naturally in the body, such as anandamide) and some synthetic pharmaceutical cannabinoids.

The research with the cannabis-source cannabinoids, conducted in mice, rats, and in vitro, has shown remarkable effectiveness in reducing brain damage from injected toxins, hypoxia, and head trauma.1 Other research has found that anandamide levels in the brains of rats naturally rise after brain injury or death and the cannabinoid system may play a primary role in limiting brain damage.2

Because psychoactivity is considered an unwanted side effect, much of the current research is being done with synthetic cannabinoid system agonists. One synthetic cannabinoid, Dexanabinol (HU-211), is already in phase 3 trials (medium scale, involving humans) headed towards governmental approval as a neuroprotective pharmaceutical. Research conducted in Israel that gave 67 patients with serious head trauma either Dexanabinol or placebo confirms similar research in rats showing reduced damage and faster recovery among those receiving the cannabinoids.3 Although other promising head trauma treatments have failed in the demanding and complex phase 3 research trials, many interested in the field of neuroinjury are excited about the findings to date.

The mechanisms by which the cannabinoids reduce damage from both toxic and traumatic injury to the brain are not yet fully understood. Although some researchers have suggested that the cannabinoids may offer protection through a strong antioxidant effect, this is now considered unlikely to account for much of the protection, since cannabinoid-receptor antagonists block the beneficial effects and the doses of the cannabinoids given are very low.

Perhaps the current best guess for how these chemicals provide their protective effects is that their general dampening of neural activity reduces excitotoxicity (damage caused by overly excited neurons). One of the specific ways this happens is through the inhibition of the glutamate system in the brain. The glutamatergic neurons are part of the excitatory system in the brain; inhibiting glutamate reduces the activity of other neurons. At least in some parts of the brain, activation of the CB1 cannabinoid receptor (a specific type of cannabinoid receptor) has been shown to block pre-synaptic release of glutamate. CB1 receptor activation is also known to inhibit certain calcium channels, directly reducing the production of nitric oxide and other potentially damaging reactive oxygen species
Cannibis grown in the United States and Mexico is very likely to have been contaminated by aerial spraying with some of the most powerful neurotoxins known to man. Thus, "street marijuana" is actually (probably) "marijuana plus".

It is all well and good to state that "research has begun to accumulate".

Such a statement is absolutely positively meaningless without a solid medical reference(s). Thus, any advice to smoke marijuana because it "reduces damage" is irresponsible, inappropriate and foolish.

There many people who are also "excited" about the use of astrology and magic crystals and visits to the Dahli Lahma to solve medical problems.
You are right about all of your comments and it's good to hear that someone recognizes some of the benefits of cannabinoids.  Ignorance about the importance of the cannabinoid system and it's role in neuroprotection is rampant.  The medical schools in the US. don't even teach it's existence.  It exists along with the endocrine and the immune system but we choose for political and economical reasons to ignore it.  

If one goes to Patients out of Time
on "medicalcannibis.com" and see all of the references in the article: Cannabis and the Endocannabinoid System in Neuroprotection. There is also a huge amount of literature cited in the "Behavioral Neurobiology of the Endocannabinoid system"2009. I've also heard of the Israeli study at a medical conference but I don't have the reference.  

In response to the problem of neurotoxins in the cannabis, now that it is partially decriminalized in California, many medical pharmacies for cannabis have there own labs which screen for pesticides and toxins before putting the products on the shelf. They, in addition, are able to describe the amount of CBD ( cannabidiol) in each sample, which is the medicinal part( the completely nonpsychogenic part),so that people can know which medicine has the most helpful properties.

Finally, smoking cannabis has been shown by a study done at UCLA by D Tashkin in the 90's (sponsored by the NIH) to possibly reduce the incidence of lung cancer.  In a surprising finding, he found that there were statistically less lung cancer cases in the pure "pot" smokers than in the nonsmokers and both of these groups had less than the cigarettes (which are legal) smokers.

I am a physician and have seen how it helps people with a variety of problems due its modulatory properties.  It keeps things in a healthy state by preventing the over-activity and under-activity of neurons. I belong to a physician's group in the state which is compiling information on its beneficial effects on the patients who we see who currently use it.
I am also a member of the American Association of Cannabis Medicine.
I am a Med MJ user. I had a head trauma as a kid. Did not smoke at the time.
I vaporize as oppose to smoking. My ability to think and problem solve is better and better since starting MM.
I agree that what is on the "market" for most people is not great. I grow my own MM under LED lights. Purely organic. Very gentle, but strong, so I don't need to use much.
MM does act like a synegist for opioids.
If I smoke and take a full dose of a painkiller like Percocet, I will be overdosed, and will vomit and feel awful. That means that if I smoke MM (a non addictive substance) first, I only need 1/4 to 1/2 my dose of the painkiller (addictive substance). Also, I will not need to dose as often either.
I recently closed my hand in the door of the car. My car was on a severe angle, and the dog bumped the door. In the hospital, I was offered a Percocet strength drug. I asked for a milder painkiller, and was able to use half the dose, half as often
I dare say, they may find in the future, that MM can prevent people from becoming addicted to painkillers by reducing the need for those addictive drugs.
Hi.My name is Andrew, 15 years old (occasional smoker). I was wondering what you're suggestion is...
Today i fell over backwards on my head and split my head open at the back (a small t/x cut)... Not a major cut, but there was a  bit of blood. I Needed 3 stiches, from local hospital.

They gave me 2 panadeine + a needle to the back of the head where the pain/cut was...

She said not to drink any alcohol + additional drugs in the next 48 hours

But is it alright to smoke a a little bit of marijuana? this stuff is spun with herb and the weed may be hydro-chronic

um my girlfriend has the same problem
she was in a car accident 2 years ago and is wondering  if pot is safe. i have no idea if i should let her or not...her friend drove into a tree on her side and after some months she got out of rehab. i have no idea if i should let her smoke or not.please let me know. she doesnt have seizers or anything like that..
Please understand that recovery continues past the first year like most doctors tell you.  As to smoking, I am unsure: It is not legal in my state.  If it would help in any way I would be all for it.  The doctor said no drugs or drinking for 2 years, we are at the 18 month point, and have basically followed these orders.  Couple of slips, first time smoking caused: dizziness, perinoid, sick feeling.  Did not repeat this for many months.  Second try was not as bad.  Drinking one beer helped sleep issue.  So far that is it.  

By the way this injury was a DAI, TBI ~ Coma for 3 weeks, paralized upon waking, cognitive issues almost like late stage elshimers, Could not swallow, or basically do anything.  Neuro Rehab for Month, Outpatient Rehab for year, OT, PT, Speach.

Patient is now 75% back.  Has learned to sit up, walk, eat, talk, drive.
Social skills are in process,  He still progressing everyday.  Would smoking help????
Cannabis has hundreds of benefits that have been found and proved in several reliable scientific studies throughout the world.  The U.S. government has lied about cannabis to its people, in order to defend the economic interests of big oil, pharmaceutical, cotton, corn, alcohol and tobacco industries. If cannabis is legalized, these industries face a major competitor that can do some serious financial damage to these industries.

It is because of this that the U.S. Government has made it hard for researchers to conducts studies on the benefits of cannabis, rather than negative side effects of weed, which are munchies, sleepiness, euphoria, happiness.  (Compare that to the dangerous and sometimes lethal side effects many legal pharmaceutical drugs have. I'd rather use cannabis products ANY day.)

My point is that people are conditioned to think of cannabis in a negative fashion in medicine thanks to greed and Uncle Sam, but the good thing is that ignorance can be cured through awareness. Do your cannabis research!!! You'll find that it is the safest "drug" known to man, and effective for many ailments and injuries.

When it comes to head injuries I'd suggest to lay off the weed until after completing therapy, or until you begin to feel a bit more "normal".  I'd also suggest to start with small tokes, or oral doses if eating or applying a tincture, to see how you react to the cannabis.

EDUCATE YOURSELVES ABOUT THE MIRACLE PLANT CANNABIS!!!
DON'T LET YEARS OF GREED DRIVEN GOVERNMENT PROPAGANDA BLIND YOUR AWARENESS ABOUT THE TRUTH OF CANNABIS. GET BOTH SIDES OF THE STORY AND USE YOUR REASON AND FACTS TO MAKE AN INTELLIGENT OPINION ON CANNABIS.
my boyfriend smokes heavily...(marijuana). he was recently in a bad altercation that left him with about 16 stitches and numerous staples in his head and a dent in his skull. The doctor told him not to smoke or drink. He asked me to get a second opinion on it because even though i am soon-2-be his wife, "MARY JANE" is his mistress, she was there before me and shell be there after me lol. not only that but he is extremely stubborn but i am one of the only people on Gods green earth that he'll listen to..i dont want to change who he is...but i dont want him to be at risk...is there ANYONE who has had serious or similar trauma that can identify with this problem?  I just want him to be healthy and happy :) HELP US!
I had a severe trauma and when a mean sever it was severe, i should not be posting this. I don't say your accident were not severe cuz i can relate to the OP, i'm doing fine in rehab cuz this happened 6 months ago, i'm all good and i don't feel like i'm different but i am. I'm not given advice, i just want to know if it will be possible one day to resmoke, it wasnt in my project to stop, but i have no other choice i like my health over weed anyday!
I have suffered repeated TBI, two of which I was not expected to survive. I have been to at least four Brain Injury programs and every clinic's first approach is a myriad of pills, anti-deppressants, anti-psychotics, and anti-anxiety meds. Drug company pill pushers that pay off doctors to ignore the benefits of marijuana. Th eside effects of synthetic drugs have been horrible for me and other patients that I recovered with. Most, if not all patients agree that marijuana is the most positive treatment for brain injury, but the doctors will never agree because, #1 it's illegal, #2 there is no profit for them and the drug company, #3they say there is no case-study proof of it's effectiveness. Well ask the other patients who we would secretly pretend to take the pills then spit them out, and go outside and puff a joint. The doctors told us how well we were doing on the meds, not knowing that we weren't taking them, but instead smoking marijuana. We would laugh at their ignorance of a natural herbal supplement that calmed us, gave us focus, prevented nauseau, eased migraines, and had no side effects except a desire to eat a little more. Much better than the horrible side effects of the drug company's experimentation on our brains. There is your case study, to bad it can't be the first method of treatment before these bastardly pills. It's not sythetically man-made, it is a plant grown from God's great Earth,  join the revolution in recovering from brain injury. I once took a nueropsych eval on thorazine, haldol, serequel, prozac, cogentin and some other pills that I can't remeber and the test results were very damning. I had another oppurtunity to take the same nueropsych eval with the same Dr, this time no pills (the Dr didn't know i had stopped all that crap) and instead smoked marijuana prior to and during a break of the testing. He was amazed at my proficient performance. Perhaps I should have let him in on my little secret, maybe someday ?? Pills are bad, marijuana is GOOD !!
i have suffered from a multitude of head injuries as a child but didnt smoke till years after the injury i however suffered another head injury and stoped smoking because the doctor told me to stay away from any and all drugs for at the very lest a full year, as i have been doing so. i did try smoking just one hit a few weeks after the injury due to my insomnia trouble but came to find a discomforting pressure in my head so i discontinued. idk if i'll ever smoke herb again possibly yes only because id rather take one drug for my insomnia, ADD and anxiety then three different drugs that put my body under different stresses. i dont condone using weed to get high! like any drug it should be used to help those that really need it!
After spending just short of a year in hospital in various wards-I.C.U (Intensive Care Unit), H.D.U (High Dependancy Unit) and waiting in a ward for a space in a rehabilitation unit where I had to learn to walk and talk again. Oh by the way I was a 3 on the Glaswegian Scale (Ironically I was born in Glasgow) I stumbled across Mary Jane half a year to a year after leaving rehab. Thus far I have achieved a 2:1 with honours from University, have numerous catagory's on my driving license, have my own house and mortgage. I suffer no seizures and I believe this to be in part to puff puff puffing de herb puffing de herb! Eating healthy and working out. Which I'm lucky to be able to do if you take into account what happened to me. Granted my humour is a bit darker now but people say I'm not much different to who I use to be. They say (medical proffesionals) you'll never be 100% after severe head trauma! I'm not daft, I researched cannabis and brain injury's, to find nothing but good things to be said about Cannabis. There are so many, not only medical uses and benefits of Cannabis but the hemp in its self can be made into oil, clothes and various other fibres. In other words eradicating Global Warming!!!!!  I'm certanly not daft, I know there are 2 sides to a story, more if you think about it logically. The world is too big a place now to believe one interpretation of an event, research things, question things. Be your own person, not a lap dog! I've things I want to do in life so stopping having a joint now and then is a must in order to achieve what I want to, which I think I deserve with the amount of preverbial I've had to deal with in my short time on this planet. In short Da Herb = Über Good yet the Governments won't legalise it! Why you ask? You tell me, I have my own theories on this yet they legalise alcohol which is a bigger killer, ruined family's and relationships etc You know why, cause they can tax that and cigarettes. I see it as a way of regulating the population of the world. Don't get me started on fluoridation of water! I'm just worried that stopping having a joint now and again will cause me to have seizures which will lose me my house and job. Everything I've worked so bloody hard to get!
P.S  Can I get a licence to smoke weed? I live in the UK. I don't want a criminal record either! I'm not a criminal! ...........and I don't want any of that crap they issue that they've tampered with! Guess what? I've heard the medical ganja they prescribe contains alcohol! I want the real deal, you know the natural plant that grows from the Earth you know the one with all the natural goodness!!
At age 17 I broke my neck and was in a 4 day coma.  My TBI was severe, as I also suffered a rating of 3 on the Glascow Coma Scale.  At age 20, I began smoking pot.  I quit for a few years, and 10 years later, now I feel like it's the only place to turn.  

Recovering from a brain injury is unlike anything you've experienced, with the difference between before and after taken into account, and it's something you are fortunate to never understand.  Bottom line, the sad truth that one can not recover past a certain stage is so very painful that sometimes the only way to cope is to fire up another bowl.  It lightens the mood, and helps me realize there's more to life than being upset about a current state that isn't as good as a former state.
I know it is difficult to respond to all the "historical hype" because of the constraints of time; not evidence.

I appreciate your taking the time here. I am a disabled veteran (also retired after 29 years service, CW4; US Army wtih 30 months flying helicopters in VN. My diagnosis is PTSD and Chronic Pain (DDD).

Cannabis has been a tremendous help to me in reducing narcotics, sleeping pills other treatments to deal with both pain and PTSD.

Most importantly, my current functioning, both mental and physical, due to a combination of low dose opiate and cannabis, has been the best outcome I have experienced since being diagnosed many years ago. I began using the cannabis after I no longer had to worry about the testing when I retired from the military in 2003. At that time, I was being treated at the Duke Pain Clinic in NC with spinal injections, huge doses of Cox 2 inhibitors and other prescriptions that have dangerous side effects.

Given this benefit, I educated myself by attending the conference presented by Patients Out of Time for health professionals in the therapeutic use of the plant in both Rhode Island in 2010 and Arizona this past April.

What is being withheld from the public is unconscionable, what is being withheld from the medical community is CRIMINAL.

Hi, I had ADEM, inflammation of the cebral matter, 2003.  I am a smoker too, but still keep fairly fit by jogging.  I too worry about whether it grossly effects my brain's recovery, but in all honesty, I smoked on the weekends at Rehab, so I think it's a case of being measured.  That's what I do and I am about to start a new job, so obviously I'm alright! It very much depends on your life satisfaction levels.  ~I am about to start my second paid job, since rehab, so I must be doing alright.  
Best of luck, but not necessarily advising you to smoke!
Hello, I am a 16 year old, 3 week - post concussion victim, and I was not sure
about how smoking some marijuana may affect me. I did not black out, vomit or feel nausea, or get headaches during or after my concussion. I had sensitivity to light and noise, fogginess and dizziness, and slight memory problems for only for the first 2 days. I was wondering how smoking weed would affect me (increase symptoms, decrease symptoms, depression, etc..)
and would like to hear back as soon as possible. I would appreciate and answer from someone who has been maybe slightly educated in the matter. Thanks.
Search: "Opinion: Could Marijuana Save Professional Football"

Researchers at the University of Washington have discovered that cannabis can repair damaged brain cells. Similar articles have appeared in the SF Gate.

Some studies of the adolescent brain have suggested there can be lasting damage as a result of MJ use although other, more resent independent studies, claim otherwise. Heavy use can impair learning. Best advice: If you are already using  MJ occasionally, at least it should not harm your concussion and may actually do some good. For treating, vaporize cannabis to eliminate toxins produced by combustion (smoking). Use in moderation, 3-4 times per week at home. Know that cannabis has a learning curve. From a "naive" state, side effects are most pronounced. Once the body accumulates a saturation of cannabinoids stored in fatty tissue, the "high" becomes more manageable. Stay away from alcohol. Alcohol will definitely damage your brain. Cannabis oil can also help, perhaps ideally, taken orally daily and will not produce the immediate psychotic effects of smoke or vapor but because of prohibition this is an option for very few because of the (potentially dangerous) process involved to obtain the oil and the quantity of MJ required. Purity of the oil is an issues as well and so should be avoided. This process is described on U-Tube.  See: run from the cure.  Good luck.    
Inhibits learning? ya right, its all in the person's motivation, and whether they want to learn or not, smoking pot is someones choice, whether they lose their life due to it or not has nothing to do with pot but their decisions while using such. I smoke pot daily, I'm classified as a gifted kid, I'm ahead of most teenagers, in brain development, but the fact is i have my life, i live it, i enjoy it, im getting through school, and after i graduate im going to university to be a mechanical engineer
Coming from a heavy pot smoker along with my bf who is the same, he also has a brain injury but was in much worse condition. I don't think marijuana is what is unhealthy, it is the smoke. I know for my bf, pot helps his back pain (he broke it during his accident) and I encourage him to consume it in other ways other than smoking (such as cooking it into food, thc pills, etc).
So I was in a terrible car wreck on December 17, 2012 I lacerated my liver completely in half and mangled my corroded artery I had a severe tbi my brain level was at a 1 I also did some other damage to my body and didn't wake up for a month after the wreck I almost did not make it  for the past year since I got out of the hospital I been takin a lot of meds and smokin pot I did like 6 months of therapy and I feel like I'm all better my memory is a lot better and I don't catch my self sayin idk to stuff all the time anymore so in my opinion marijuana does not affect a brain injury