Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
Stiff Neck, Dizziness, Ringing in ears

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

Stiff Neck, Dizziness, Ringing in ears

I am 36 year old. Since past week I have been hearing ringing sound in my left ear. I have a very stiff neck, feel dizzy and get pins and needle feeling at the back and top of my head.

No matter how much I sleep I always feel very tired. On couple of occasion I have felt like whole room is spinning. I also felt a short circuiting sensation in my head.

Can someone tell me what is going on with me? I am planning to visit my doctor next week, but in the mean time if I get any sort of clues that would be helpful.

I am worried it could be brain tumor.

paps
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
This does not sound like brain tumor. There is a chance that you have compression of the spinal nerves in the cervical spine region. This can happen due to overuse of computers, work involving straining of neck, herniated disc, canal stenosis, bone disease, spondylosis, poor posture etc. A MRI of the cervical spine and nerve conduction studies may be required. Please consult a neurologist. The treatment is to remove the compression. You have to discuss the best treatment option with a neurologist, which can range from medication to physiotherapy to traction, cervical collars or even surgery. Alternatively you can visit a chiropractor or a physical therapist and learn some exercises which you can do to relieve the compression.
Use a hard bed to sleep. Avoid a pillow. Roll a towel and place it under your neck while sleeping on the back and between head and shoulder when lying on the side. Initially this will be uncomfortable but with time the acupressure will do wonders. Use an analgesic cream or spray. Anti-inflammatory drugs help.  Hope these tips help. If symptoms persist consult an orthopedic specialist or a neurologist. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Dear Doctornee Medical

I really, really appreciate your response. I have just been to my doctor and she thinks I have an inner year infection and it has fluid in it. As per the doc, this is caused by some virus. There is no magic pill to cure this and it should subside within a week or 2.

On insisting the doc recommended I get myself examined by a neurologist. Which is what you have recommended too.

I have also got my blood test done, awaiting results. This is to check why I feel fatigued all the time.

I will try your recommendations today onwards. I will keep you posted of my progress. I am very thankful to you for your response. Gives me a positive perspective to deal with this.

Regards

papsmegreat
I have had similar symptoms. Neck gets stiff, and when ringing gets loader the room begins to spin. I have had 4 episodes over 2 months. I feel like my necks out. But CAT scan showed no problems. Emergency Dr thinks it has to do with fluid in my ear but I don't think that explains the neck issue?
Hello Dr.Kokil Marthur.. I have been having a stiff neck, and stiff back always have the feeling to crack them both... apart from that my ear has a buzzing sound to it.. and i am pretty sure this has something to do with my neck. When i go to crack it the ear buzz fades away .. problem is its the right side of my neck it is so stiff i cant even manage to pop a crack and the ear buzz/ring is still on the right side.. i know there is something wrong with a nerve being pinched or something.. I would like to know whats going on thanks