Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
Strange pressure feeling in back of head

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

So I'm not sure where to post this......

For the past week or so I've felt a pressure in the back of my head, it feels almost as if it's in the area where the spine meets the skull.  The best way that I can explain it is that it feels as if there is some type of swelling (but doesn't feel like it) or as if the muscles are contracting.  To add to this I feel the muscles, just in that area, spasm every once and a while.  

I don't experience and type of pain or discomfort really.  Mostly just an annoyance.  I have had a few headaches but I'm unsure if this may be related to what I'm experiencing or not.

And another thing is that for years my neck has been able to crack very easily, and sometimes very loud.  I know that this isn't the most healthy thing to do and I've tried to cut back but it's been since high school (I'm 32 y/o) and bad habits are hard to break.
I have this really strange pressure in the back of my head also.  Mine hurts really bad though.  It is so bad that it feels like my head is going to explode.  I don't know what is causing it.  The front of my face is numb also.  It has been like this for over a week.  I feel like my head is in a vise grip and it is getting tighter by the moment.  I sure wish someone could tell me what is causing it.  I hope you can get some help as well.

Jerri
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Repeated cracking of neck can cause trauma and arthritis. This can cause compression of the spinal nerves in the cervical spine region. This can happen due to overuse of computers, work involving straining of neck, herniated disc, canal stenosis, bone disease, spondylosis, poor posture etc. A MRI of the cervical spine and nerve conduction studies may be required. Please consult a neurologist. The treatment is to remove the compression. You have to discuss the best treatment option with a neurologist, which can range from medication to physiotherapy to traction, cervical collars or even surgery. Alternatively you can visit a chiropractor or a physical therapist and learn some exercises which you can do to relieve the compression. You probably have this problem and since this is the beginning, a prompt evaluation followed by treatment can be beneficial.
Hope this helps. Do let me know if there is any thing else and keep me posted. Take care!