TBI Blackout question
Hello:
About 1.5 years ago my boyfriend suffered a traumatic brain injury. Since that time we have been trying to work through it. However there is one problem that seems to confound even his neurologist. He has frequent episodes we call "blackouts". Usually these happen when he is under stress, but not always. He can fully function during them, however he will often have a very major headaches, and several hours later or when he comes out of it will not know what happened or what occurred during the time he was "out" for, and that memory of whatever event triggered it will never come back. The neurologist seems to think that they may be mini seizures that are happening only within the brain, however we have never been able to document one. Has anyone else out there had this happen??? Can you help us????

thanks!!!
I would tend to think that it might be worthwhile to discuss with the neurologist what tests could be done to find out what happens when these episodes occur. If they occur during the course of a day then an EEG or other related tests done for an extended period of time should be able to catch one occurring. Also (and this you would have to discuss with the neurologist, I know I and other people had this test done to rule out seizure related conditions) there are EEG's that are done to deliberately trigger seizures (there are safety procedures associated with it to protect the person should an actual seizure occur) and if a seizure happens they would know exact what kind it was and how to treat it. You could discuss that with the neurologist.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Yes it is possible that he has a type of absence seizures, which are usually seen in children. These are very short seizures with blackouts where a person just simply stops moving or speaking, stares straight ahead blankly, and does not respond to questions. This is at times followed by memory loss for the period. An EEG should be done. The other possibility is that he has frontal lobe injury. Hence a MRI should be done. Please discuss this with his treating neurologist. Take care!

hello. i had TBI almost a year ago. i have head aches sooo bad that i pass out. i hear voices, i have memory loss, and when i get mad, i black out and attack people. now, everyone says i can control it, its all in my head, and blah blah blah. but i kno it aint true. i go tomorrow for another CT. but, just tell him to try his best not to get upset. it can really hurt him.
i recieved a tbi in iraq and a few days after i got back i blacked out and went crazy attacking people and threatening my friends and loved ones.  the next day i sought treatment and was informed that it was caused by a type of siezure.  They are treating me with gabba pentin and bio-feedback.  It seems to be working, however  my friends and loved ones just think i went off and acted crazy for no reason.  They wont talk to me and are treating me like I am some kind of monster....maybe I deserve this I dont know maybe I am a monster.  I hope everything works out for you and your boyfriend admsr. As for you hulkette14....i feel for you this ***** and hurting the people you love having your free choice and will taken from you....its like being mentaly raped.
here is my sad story.  i had my first tbi accident when i was 10 (bike accident)  I am now 51.  started having  my first "real" on the scene grand mals when i was 29.  so they dx it as epilepsy.  I have always been an aggressive person (opened 3 companies).  then 6 years ago i have another tbi accident (motorcycle)  in the hospital for 2 months and in a wheel chair for 9 months.  my husband of 18 years leaves me 3 weeks after i start walking.  2 years ago he took me to court and won custody of my 2 youngest children.  Saying I was uncontrollable and mean.  anyone with tbi knows just dealing with life without the additional problems of trying to cope with additional stress of divorce and custody factors are in itself almost impossible. to make matters worse i had another tbi accident  last dec when i was at work.  i had a grand mal and had hit my head that required stitches.  my x then took visitation away from me.  To be honest with you i did not even know about any of this tbi until 2 months ago because of the still ongoing issues of custody legalities. Explains alot of how I have been acting though.   I have been court ordered not to see my children now for over 9 months.  personally i think that is parental alienation syndrome.  my husband is on his 4th marriage and has been a controlling abusive man his whole life.  the point of this is i have recently in the last 2 years been blacking out also.  I live alone.  I don't dare tell anyone because I have enough problems.  I have had an EEG and an Neuropsychiological review as well as a parent evaluation (excellent review) 2 months ago.  Which all came back very positive.  The neuro evaluation confirms i do have a tbi.  I restrict my driving to work and home.  6 miles. I am approved for driving as well by Dr.  I will "wake up" sitting at my office desk at 2am in the morning and last thing I remember was going to bed.  That is  just 1 example.  I have had numerous conversations "apparantly with individuals or seen movies that I would bet my life on I never saw but did.  It is a very scary feeling.  I do not have the headaches though that everyone talks about.  I do know that I need to be rested and try to stay stress free as much as can be.  I think this is what is causing the black outs.  Anxiety and stress.  I am not on any depressant but reading more literature on tbi I need to at least join a tbi group in the community.  I do have a very good support system of older children and friends and extened family.  You are not alone.  Keep your head up.  Everyone has a story.  It does get better.  You can only pray and be productive.  something which i am learning is not one of my strong points in frontal lobe tbi. haha