Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
TBI relapse

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

TBI relapse

About 2 1/2 years ago, I was involved in a motor vehicle accident.  I came away with traumatic brain injury; I underwent one month of inpatient and about two months of outpatient therapy.  Following a neurological exam, interviews with vocational counselors, and other miscellaneous tests I was cleared to return to work.  

Now, two years later, my supervisor has noted that, in general, I'm not the "old me."  This doesn't mean the pre-accident me,  it means the "me" I was immediately upon my return.  I haven't noticed anything specific, other than maybe I get a little short and snippy at times when I feel pressured at work.  My supervisor could not give me specific examples either.  Is it possible to have a TBI relapse?  Could personal stress contribute to such a relapse, which is then noticeable at work?    

I really enjoy my career.  I'd hate to backslide professionally, which I suspect could start a vicious boredom-depression cycle.  Should I see a doctor?  A counselor?  

Any advice would be appreciated.  Than you!  
Tags: career, Work
As I habe a TBI aslso, I understand the injury produces excessive emotional outbursts of the type of emotions we would have previously displayed, only less intense. Adressing a coucelor would be my best suggestions as the oubursts or angery moments can be dealt with to the best of your ability. If they go unchecked they could get worse. I believe a lot of this kind of stuff is the product of resentments, jelously, and of course the ego. So yes, you are doing the right thing in asking what to do, so I would say Couselor.

Good Luck

How are you?

Sometimes, patients of brain trauma present with neurological manifestations after treatment also. This depends on the area of brain involved and the extent of damage to that area.
Brain Injury results in a wide range of changes to a person’s behavior, their sensitivity to surroundings and their thinking capabilities. When a person sustains a brain injury its impossible to predict how much they will recover and how long it will take. There is no formula to tell you which results are permanent and which are temporary.

You should take a healthy nutritious diet containing lots of green leafy vegetables and fruits daily.Pls exercise regularly as it improves your heart function. This means that your heart can pump the blood better and profuse your brain with a rich supply of blood.

Don’t feel stressed out or anxious by work.Yoga,meditation and talking to a supportive person or friend will help you.You can also go in for psychiatric counseling.

Hope it helps.Take care and God bless.