Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)

A good friend of mine was in a bad car accident and was taken to the hospital about a year and a half ago. He had many broken bones, a collapsed lung, and a traumatic brain injury. Previous to the accident he was a daily pot smoker. He's doing really good now and has had no problems with breathing, although he does have some trouble with his short term memory from time to time. This may be due to the past weed smoking, but he is leaning toward smoking weed again. Aside from the loss of short term memory, is the risk of seizures very high? He's very healthy and has never had any brain related problems in the past.

Any answers or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
sounds like my story. i had a bad motorbike crash beg february in which i had brain injuries.  i have asked about seizures because i want to be able to have a drink and they said to me that things like that do increase your chances of having one. although i would think after a yeaR and a half without having a seizure he would be pretty safe. but personally if i was him i wouldnt go back to doing it everyday.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
With such a history, it would be wiser to stay away from weed. Though the risk of seizures is there after any traumatic injury of brain, it is compounded by marijuana. How much at risk your friend is its difficult to say. Since there is memory loss, frontal brain is probably affected.
Hope this helps. Do let me know if there is any thing else and keep me posted. Take care!
My cousin had a similar incident and he smokes weed to help cope with the side effects of his TBI...memory loss, anxiety, concentration, headaches.  I know it doesn't make sense but you can definately tell a difference when he smokes and when he doesn't.  For the record I am not an advocate for recreational marijuana use but if it helps in medical situations then I am all for it....
I had a TBI, 2 and a half years ago and went through all crappy medicines.  Recently I found 1 or 2 glasses of wine/beer is most helpful than all that medicine for my dizziness, headaches, anxiety etc.,.   Yes it is only a temporary solution but same with the medicines.  So if your friend can handle marijuana (without any dangerous side effects) let him have it.  There is no research done whether marijuana increases or decreases the seizure.  It all depends on person to person.  No one knows what TBI survivors go through and any help in this terrible journey will be a great relief even it is temporary.  Marijuana may have calming effect and who knows it can help him too to relieve some symptoms.