Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
What can I do to help son?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

What can I do to help son?

My son was in a car accident and was in critical condition.  He improved and was able to come home, however he was having seizures in the ICU and also injured his brain.  He doesn't have any memory of what happened to him but more scary is he is so confused, irritable, talks in circles about the same things, and his gait is off.  I know this is all normal but he often leaves the house and I can't stop him.  I worry he will get hurt but he doesn't let me reason with him.  I have a hired a person he trusts to be his care giver for when I go back to work but other then following him around any suggestions on how to keep him safe?
More info. How old is he? How long ago was the accident? Has he tried to hurt himself? Can he find his way home? Has his brain injury been diagnosed and treated? Have you followed him around when he leaves the house to be sure he's not doing anything dangerous?
Thank you for responding.  He is 31.  The accident was a week ago.  My granddaughter picked him up yesterday so he could go for a ride.  Well it ended in a mess.  She couldn't back her car up and got out for her boyfriend to back the car up for her and my son jumped in and began driving.  When they tried to talk him in to stopping he was screaming he would turn this %%% over.  He finally finished ranting and pulled over and got out of the car and started walking.  They followed him and he finally set on the curb looking really confused.  They got him in the car and he didn't say another word the rest of the night.  They got him home, he came in, didn't say a word and went to bed.  I called the nurse hotline to see what I could do and they said I should call 911 if he didn't call down.  

Yes, he was diagnosed while he was in the ICU after the accident and he added the seizure..  I tried to get the hospital to help me but they said all of this confusion, constant talking, not sleeping, irratability  would get better with time and it might but not sure I can keep him safe.  My family is now afraid of him and not to make excuses but I am on tx for HEP C and my energy is not good enough to let me follow him around all the time.  Plus I have tried but he gets more aggrevated.  I gave him my cell phone and he can find my number when he can't get home, however he does appear to know where we live.  He also
knows he had a job and would like to go but obviously he can't go back with stitches, staples and his current mind set so this doesn't help.  He keeps wanting to go over there.

I called the Brain injury institute of MD and while they were very sympathetic said it is not unusual for hospitals to let people out too early with no back up plan when they don't have insurance.  Well I suppose they think I am his back-up plan.  I have an appointment with him on Wednesday with his psych. and maybe he can help me figure this out.

Sorry to be so long winded but I am a mother afraid for my son and don't know if I should be afraid for myself when his temper flares.  He thinks I am out to get him yet I am his strongest supporter.
One week? Are you kidding me? I'll have to write later. This has me mad.
This has me so angry I can hardly think straight. If this were my family, I would call an attorney to see if that hospital, at the very least, can be forced to take your son back and treat his brain injury, or perhaps put him on a psychological hold for evaluation.

Do a Google search for disability, or maybe even better, personal injury attorneys. Also look into a non profit hospital.

The more you learn about brain injury, the more you'll learn that the first 4-6 weeks are critical to healing. He should not be doing ANYTHING but lying in a bed. No stimulus; phone, TV, computer. Anything. His brain is probably still swollen.

I can help if you want. If I'm reading your response right, you're in Maryland. I have some contacts out there and may be able to help you find a treatment center or a good attorney. My email is ***@**** or if you want to call me, my number is 801.649.2356.

If you get my voice mail, or even a recording that says my number is disconnected, wait for the beep and leave a message. I have an app that blocks telemarketers with the disconnect recording but it will record your message.

Let me know.

Layne
email is layne mangum at hotmail *******. Take out the spaces, add the at symbol, and replace dot with a period.
hotmail dotty commie.

Geez!