Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
Why is the back of my head hurting?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

Why is the back of my head hurting?

So for a while now the back of my head is hurting, right above my neck area, but still on the back of my head. Right in the crease sort of area. The pain is very odd, unlike a headache or migraine. Like a painful swelling. But the pain isn't always there. It throbs randomly for only a couple seconds to less then a minute, and then goes away. And literally out of no where. I won't move my head or anything and all of a sudden this unbearable, yet quickly over with, pain occurs. It seriously hurts so bad. I feel almost like I'm paralyzed. Not even from the pain. I just do when it starts throbbing. I can't even move when it happens. I just want to know what is going on. Can someone please help me out?
Hi!
This could be a case of occipital neuralgia. This usually happens due to spinal nerve compression because of overuse of computers, work involving straining of neck, herniated disc, canal stenosis, bone disease, spondylosis, poor posture. You should have a MRI focusing only on C1-3 and also look at C1-2 instability.
A stiff neck due to muscle contraction can also cause occipital headaches. These can be treated with occipital nerve blocks. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Take care!
my husband has been experiencing severe and chronic pain in the back of his head.  He has had about 10 occipital nerve blocks . MRI, facet blocks, botox injections and still nothing helps.  He has had this pain for 10 years with the last 4 years becoming worse. He even had an operation with disc replacement of C-6  C-7. The pain is his only symptom.  He is taking narcotics and even they don't help.  Any ideas, we have been to several specialitst and pain management doctors.  
my husband has been experiencing severe and chronic pain in the back of his head.  He has had about 10 occipital nerve blocks . MRI, facet blocks, botox injections and still nothing helps.  He has had this pain for 10 years with the last 4 years becoming worse. He even had an operation with disc replacement of C-6  C-7. The pain is his only symptom.  He is taking narcotics and even they don't help.  Any ideas, we have been to several specialitst and pain management doctors
I was involved in a motorcycle wreck last January and it broke my neck. But 67 visits to doctors just last year and not one could figure out why I was complaining so much. They were convinced I was just losing my mind. But not me, I was just getting madder. 68th visit to a Neurosurgeon he had a motion xray done and then realized I had a broke neck at C3. On the 30th of December last year, my 50th birthday, I was in surgery having a complete ACDF neck fusion from C3-C6. But after walking around for nearly a year with s broken neck  I now suffer from chronic shoulder, neck and back of my head pain! And the terrible occipital pain every single day. I would like advice on what may help me.