Will he ever be the same??
My dad, 64 in great physical shape, had sugery 5 months ago and a tumor was removed from a difficult part of his brain. I don't know the terminology but apparently it was situatated in the midde of both hemispheres( they told us his movement and speech could suffer) He had 10 sessions of radiotherapy and he had swelling of the brain afterwards. He was perfect after the operation. He could talk and walk, he had weakness in his left leg and hand, but overall he was fine. When the swelling started he started to get confused, he had problems with balance and walking, and he had to go back to hospital. The doctor told us that his reccuperation would not be linear, that it would have ups and down all the way through, which I understand. He was doing very well until 3 weeks ago, when he had swelling again. ( he had to have his kidney removed) All the operations were a great success, he has no tumors or cancer left but now with this swelling he is worst than ever. He is confused all the time, he can't talk, he can't walk...
He has had all sorts of scans and they are all clear, the doctor says that the sweeling will go down gradually and he'll improve, but I'm just so demotivated and depressed. I would just like to know if anyone had experienced any of this,and if they have gotten better.I have looked everywhere for answers and there'n nothing out there...
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
I can empathize with your demotivation. If there is swelling in the brain then you can discuss with your father’s doctor about trying out mannitol or diuretics orr surgical decompression. Maybe one of these will help reduce swelling and cause recovery.
It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!