brain fluid/shunt problems
Hello!
Any information you can share will be appreciate. My boyfriend just had a brain tumor removed on 12-16 and I was told all went well. After surgery he started having issues with his shunt because he's producing too much fluid and the shunt isn't able to keep up. The doctor keeps adjusting the shunt but he is still having serious problems. He's unable to stay awake, isn't able to communicate and doesn't really know anyone. He's being fed but eats only small amounts. He is able to turn himself in bed and attepts to get up, sit on side of bed etc. He is totally out of it and I need information. This is the love of my life, am I going to get him back? Will he get his memory back and start to function again? This is all new to me and I'm very scared.
Thank You ~ Be Blessed
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Yes, you are naturally scared. Nausea with VP shunt can be due to over drainage or under drainage of CSF. It can also be due to VP shunt induced sub dural hematomas and loculation of the ventricular system (forming small localized areas). There is a possibility there is a disconnected distal shunt valve. Please consult his neurologist immediately and get this assessed. A programmable pressure-controlled valve shunt system would be better. Memory loss may be temporary or permanent. This would need proper assessment once the drainage is controlled. Take care!