Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
brain injury and weight loss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

brain injury and weight loss

I had a severe traumatic brain injury in 1995 meaning I was in a coma for 3 months.  Since that time I was but on a bipolar medicine to help control my moods but I am off of it now and unable to run because of the bunion I inherited from my Mom so I am swimming but running I found before my accident was the way for me to stay in shape.  On that medicine I trained for 6 half marathons and ran 5 because one was canceled and I never lost more than 10 pounds.  What is my problem with losing weight, please help me figure it out?

Usually, such symptoms may result after head injury and may last for weeks or months after the injury that caused from the injury of a fall, vehicle accident, or sports injury.  For treatment approach, first it is essential to get (MRI) done to detect the brain or spinal abnormalities after that injury. Treatment commonly may be suggested for symptoms such as pain-killers, some antidepressants, physical therapy and regular exercises. If you suffer continuous headache, please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away who will evaluate the possibilities here and can provide you an appropriate treatment. Further referral to a psychologist may be also helpful in order to treat usual anxiety or depression after such injuries (sometimes one may have) that may be one of the aggravating factors for persistent symptoms. Hope this information proves helpful to you. Take Care & Regards!!!

You have a very interesting history that suggests a problem with the endochrine system, not uncommon after a head injury. Very difficult to resolve. Hormones are polypeptides and signaling substances. The answer, if one is possible, may come from consultation with an endochronologist.
well I am not made of money although I did have a blood test for my thyroid and the doctor told me it was fine.  I have a good endurance as proved by my 2300 meter swim today since I cannot run because of my bunion surgery or surgeries.  But I have already asked the question of my weight to the physiatrist who took care of me after my accident and we shall see but I will look into an endochronologist, thanks
I agree with caregiver22 about checking the endocrine system.  You can check this website for some information.
http://www.tbimedlegal.com
I have a call into my endocrinologist whom I have never seen but covered under my insurance and since my biggest complaint is my weight, he referred me to someone who specializes in weight loss but that is not all of it and this doctor is out of pouch expense so that will not work
pocket expense
I have to wait until December before I see an endocrinologist so I guess I will just continue being miserable
try a supplement called dreminine (or something like that.)  A chiropractors office might have it.  Did wonders for me after my head injury