Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
bump on forehead wont go away

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

bump on forehead wont go away

Hi, Almost two months ago now I bumped the top of my forehead.  I really didn't think I hit my head hard at the time.  There wasn't really any major pain that would even result in me taking any minor pain medication.  The next day I woke up with a bit of a lump on my forehead.  Throughout the week it seemed to drain down my forehead but the original oval lump on the top of my forehead stayed.  It has been almost two months and it wont go away.  I would think that it is nothing serious because I didn't hit my head all that hard, and I have had absolutely no side effects except for a lingering bump/lump on the top of forehead.  If I apply pressure to the lump it does hurt a bit, the bump is a bit red in color.  I guess my question is first when can I expect the lump to go away, and is there anything I can do to speed up the process?  I really would prefer not to see a doctor because of the cost.

Please Help.  

Thanks,
Andrew
Avatar dr f tn
Hi Andrew,

How are you? Ideally, swelling should subside after a couple of days. Putting ice on the affected area in the first days usually helps. However, in your case, it has been 2 months and  the critical period, which is the first 24 hours, is done. The bump will eventually subside and this will depend on the healing process. However, if it persists, it is recommended that you have it checked out by your doctor to rule out other causes.

Take care and best regards.