do we need plates or some kind of other 'filling' for a 22 months old boy w/ TBI
Hi! my 15 month old nephew was in a car accident which occurred 7 months ago. he had open traumatic brain injury. after 12 hour surgery, trepanation, coma he survived. he seems very healthy nowadays. yesterday we were asked a question : " do we want to have plates protecting his head from future injuries or some kind of gel filling".  we don not know anything about it. he s 22 months old right now. what should we choose and should we do it at all.
Hi!
I know you need answers but this is something very difficult to assess on net. Both plates and flaps are used for skull reconstruction. The preference depends on the defect, its position, size etc. Also in younger age, flaps are more suited to allow the skull the space to grow. Do discuss this with his treating doctor or take a second opinion from a neurosurgeon who can examine him. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.