Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
fall on the ice
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

fall on the ice

Almost two weeks ago I fell on some ice and hit my head.  After falling I did not notice any symptoms of a serious head injury, other than a large bump that covered almos half of the back of my head.  There is still a little bump there but it has gotten a lot better.  However, on two occasions I have seen a flash of light without knowing what caused it.  I have read that flashes like that could be caused by a detached retina.  Could a blow to the head like this cause my retina to detach?  And if so, could the flashes that I saw be symptoms of that even though there were only two?  Or would the symptoms of a detached retina be more obvious?
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
351246_tn?1379685732
Hi
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Yes, a blow on the head by falling on ice that has caused such a huge contusion (bump) can cause retinal detachment or impending retinal detachment.
This type of blow to the head can cause brain injury, small bleeds that take time to present with symptoms. Hence consult an ophthalmologist and a neurologist ASAP.
Hope this helps. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

Blank
When I was around 11 or 12 my friend and I were walking on ice and she slipped and accidentally knocked me down face-first into the ice. I got up and was fine (didn't pass out or anything). But I had a big bump on the front of my head. I am now 23 and feeling like I have symptoms of ADD (I've felt like this for years but I'm now just thinking that I might truly have ADD).

Can hitting my head cause some damage in terms of brain and mental function? Can it cause learning disorders or things of that nature?? I also got hit with a chair leg on the right side of my head (from a far distance). A kid had thrown it at me. Could this do anything also??
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating: What Your Closet ...