Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
hit to the head

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

hit to the head

yesterday my friend hit me on the top of the back of my head for a laugh, it did hurt a bit and i know i probably lost some brain cells, would the amount be significant to the amount we lose a day anyway and will it have caused any other harm to my brain and affect my education at school?
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Well it is not a good practice to hit anyone on the head. Having said that, I would also say that brain is the most important organ, as it controls the whole body. Hence nature has made man in such a way that brain in cushioned inside the skull covered with protective layers (hair, scalp, bone, duramater etc) and cerebro-spinal fluid (CSF). Normally when the head is hit all these protective layers and the CSF cushion the hit and keep the brain safe. Small hits like the way your friend hit you will cause no damage to brain normally. However it is not a safe practice as anytime one can exert more force than one intentions and this can cause damage.
You will have a slight discomfort in the area where you were hit due to scalp injury. You should be alright in a day or two. This will not affect your learning or memory in any way. However, if you do develop any symptoms then consult a doctor.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
i am very greatfull for your reply and it has helped me to stop worrying. i guess the hit was more of a slap or a smack and the pain only lasted about 10 seconds then went, i have not had any symptoms bar a nose bleed the next day which was only a very small nose bleed where i just had a small amount of blood in my nose not for long, could this be anything? And how do i know if i do have anything wrong with my brain and memory? Thankyou so much :)
Thanks for keeping me posted!
If your brain has a problem it will make a noise---severe headaches, vomiting, loss of sensation, muscle weakness etc etc. You may have short term or long term memory loss, if it involves a specific area of the brain concerned with memory. Do not worry. Nothing like this is going to happen. As I said earlier a man’s brain is actually quite safe. The smack is just like we hit our head against a door or something by mistake.
Relax! Concentrate on your studies. I am sure you will do well. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
hey thankyou!! i have had none of those symptoms, and i wouldnt have those symptoms from  the kind of hit i experienced right? i think i have ocd i get really worried about little things like this and i just liek to be reasured!! are you sure about this? i will not have any memory loss will i ? thankyou
Thanks for keeping me posted!
No you will not have a memory loss. However to excel you need to work hard—right? So gear up! Start studying and forget about this episode. I am sure you will do well in life.
Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
yes i will keep studying etc. what sort of force would have to hit near the parietal lobe of the head to cause any damage to mathematics ability and memory? And can pollution harm the brain if a small amount is inhaled just now and then in my lifetime from walking by roads etc but if i went to the mayfair  and i inhaled, not lots but a bit more than usual then, would that harm my brain?
what sort of force would have to hit near the parietal lobe of the head to cause any damage to mathematics ability and memory?