Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
im not sure of what i have

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

im not sure of what i have

hi, Iam a48yo female who25 years ago was involved in a rollover that laned me at mgh head trauma unit. i was supposingly in a coma for 7-10 days.4 years ago I had a liver transplant and was one of their sickest patients,i severly suffered with encephalopothy. after the transplant, i lost my long term memory and my short term memory as well is impaired. I can't remember being married for 28 years or raising 4 children   there are only the first few years of their live's i can remember.and with that its only like fleeting pictures of them when they where young.  When i look at photo's of them when they were toddlers and children, it's like looking at pictures of others kids,yeah,they are mine, but, i have no feeling behind it ,no emotion of reminessing and remembering when,let me tell you it *****, i dont even care to look back for it is deepressing. now i have severly abnormal sleep apnea and narcalepsy which i occasionally will take provigill. it's getting to thre point that i can't remember what happened last week.  i am trying to learn the computer but finding it real hard to concept. the only way i learn is by repition.  i can't go to work because i cant recall things,so that makes me a person that no one wants to hire. So my husband has to take the brunt of it all and work 16 hour days 3-5 days a week and on weekends having to work 8 hour shifts  . back to me, i feel so confused  and for lack of better words,an air head.would you help me to piece this puzzle together  I forgot what i wanted to say  please help
it sounds like you have a brain injury that stems all the way back to your car accident.  these type of problems you are describing are EXACTLY what happens with brain injuries.  the sad thing is that most brain injuries go undiagnosed because they do not even show up on a brain scan - you only know that you have the injury by the type of symptoms you are having - confused, "air head", bad memory, fatigue, problems with short term memory and long term memory. after my own injury, my husband too had to take on the housework and be the only income provider - so i know the feelings of stress and sense of hopelessness you're having, because i have been there. you need to go to a neurologist to get diagnosed and then go to a neuropyschologist to get tested to pinpoint the exact areas of trouble. then you should get referred to work with a good cognitive therapist to try to regain some of what you have lost. it is a long tough journey, but one that you can make it through with the support of your family. i know, since i'm on the same one. i have been in cognitive therapy now for over 9 months, so if you want me to refer you to some of the resources my cognitive therapist gave me to help me retrain my brain, let me know and i will you.

you're not a lone - that is why we have a community forum to help empower each other.

marie

thanks so very much for getting back to me. taking the time out ,it's a lot to ask of someone.This sounds a bit mean,but,it's comforting to know that I am not alone.  I am in the begining stages of seeing a neurologist, I need one doctor to piece together what three doctors have told me. It would be great of you to refer me to some of your resources,thanks. I have to ask this one question. I feel extremely suicidal is this part of brain injury or is it another problem to add on my list of problems,for lack of better words. thanks so much marie for taking the time out and getting back to me.