loss of sense of smell
i suffered a skull fracture with bruised brain a few months back,a few nerves were damaged in the accident but my sense of smell has completly gone it came back for a day or to then went to a chemicly smell lingering,will it return or is there any methods to enhance it a little,happened in november 2010 so dont know if chemoreceptors that were hit have had time to heal, taste is fine,breathings fine and digestive is slow but its getting there slowly
I had a similar injury and had brain contusion (temporal and frontal lobes) happened 1 year 8 months ago and had lot of constant symptoms still (dizziness, head aches, fatigue etc.,) plus distorted sense of smell and taste.  Mine is bizarre lately since it keeps changing through out the day and gets some what better in the night (meaning I can slightly have normal smell and taste).  In the beginning it was so worse.  

So there may be a chance you can get it back and is interesting you mentioned you got it back for a day or two.  Did they give you any prednisone?  Nothing much you can do but there are only few doctors I came across who can look into this but they are expensive (in U.S).  

http://www.tasteandsmell.com/

You can also check the following link and few people reported they got it back.
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Head--Traumatic-Brain-Injury/Head-trauma-causes-loss-of-smell-taste/show/612120
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Loss of smell and taste following head injury can be a symptom of concussion and this may take months to resolve. At times it is due to traumatic injury either to the olfactory nerve or to the olfactory center in the brain and this type of damage is permanent. If it is due to injury to nose internally then this may recover. The various tests carried out to detect the cause of loss of smell is CT scan of nasal sinuses, MRI of brain, allergy testing, and blood glucose levels. This is followed by quantitative smell test which helps identifies the degree of loss.
You can try smelling things consciously and eating highly seasoned foods to provide triggers to smell and taste. Please consult your neurologist too. Take care!
I fell from my horse and , amongst other things , lost my sense of taste and smell. For me I found this very traumatic.It took about two years for it to return properly. I wish you all the best.
I lost my smell 3 years ago. I can say the " eating highly seasoned foods to provide triggers to smell and taste. try smelling things consciously" by doctornee
Is the closest to hope you gonna get. It's permanent if this is injured. Ya have to train your mind and remember how to smell. If your brain can transfer pain to a different organ system, it's a inquisitive theory of consciously regaining that sense.
I ALSO FELL OVER AND BANGED MY HEAD, LOST MY SMELL AND TASTE FOR 2 MONTHS, WIERD THING IS I CAN TASTE LEMON FLAVOURED WATER?????????