Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
multiple concussions. still suffering after many years

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

I am 43 yrs old I suffered 5 major concussions from the time I was 16 to 30.  One of which resulted in a skull fracture.  I probably had another 10 or so that i did not lose concisness (i hope theres no grading for spell ing here).  I have been struggling with my mental wellness for as long as i can remember.  I was wrongly diagnosed as bi-polar about 10 yrs ago then again about 3 yrs ago.  I have now been labeled with a major depressive disorder and anxiety disorder.  I have not been able to hold on to a job for more than a couple of years due to lack of focus, motivation and the the inability to concentrate.  I wake up in the morning exhausted and find it very difficult to stay awake for the day.  My short term memory is horrible.  My ears ring so loud I cant be in a quiet environment yet I am very sensitive to load noises.  I get headaches daily and they get especially bad when i excercise.  I had an MRI done last month and they found that I have brain atrophy.  They say the atrophy is mild but then they say it is never seen in someone my age.  Although my last concussion was quite a while ago, my symptoms seem to be getting worse.  I was wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences or has any advise for me.  
Tags: multiple concussions, concussion symptoms
Hi!
I am sorry to hear what you are going through. Traumatic brain injury can cause encephalomalacia or softening of rain matter and this can cause atrophy. This may have happened in your case.  While there is nothing much that you can do to reduce this, lots can be done to successfully manage the symptoms. There are many memory enhancing tricks and games which can help you improve your memory and remember important things. There are many medications to treat and manage tinnitus. Similarly headaches can be managed by regular exercise and medications. Please discuss this with your doctor and consult a counselor to help you with your memory. Take care!