Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
my sons condition

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

my sons condition

my 20 year old received a serious head injury 11 days ago.  he has subarachnoid hemorrage.  he is still in a lot of pain in his head and has slept most of the time until last night.  the pain is to be expected I guess, but my concern is that when he is awake, often he is very coherent but then he has these "episodes" where his eyes get big, pupils dialate, eyes get glossy, he chomps him mouth like he is eating something and his body tightens and trembles and shakes... this usually lasts about a minute to minute and half and he starts to come out of it.  after the episode he talks nonsense and is very out of it and confused.  I took him back to the ER on Thursday and they did another CT and said his CT hadn't changed and that the bleeds still appeared stabilized.  said time and rest.  the said there is no way to know if this is something that will pass with time or if these episodes will continue.  has anyone else experienced this?
Your description seems to suggest a seizure.  Has the hospital or ER Doctor not requested a EEG?  Head injuries are very serious.
when I took him back to the ER I told them about the "episodes"...  (at the time I didn't realize they were called seizures) and no, they did not order an EEG.  the ER doc said rest and time... I am supposed to follow up with the neurosurgeon who read his original 3 CT's next month (March 20th).  Ugh...  he actually hasn't had any seizures that I have seen since Saturday morning and today is Sunday afternoon.  maybe that is a good sign?
You may want to consider a Neurology consult because this speciality actually does the EEG and interprets the results.  Seizures can wax and wane so that is why you would want him to get this consult.  
thanks Eddie...  I have considered that... I was thinking after he sees the neurosurgeon on March 21st.  That gives things time to calm down inside his head.  He hasn't had a seizure since Saturday morning... and his pain level, which has been at a 8 most of the time, is down to a 6 this morning.  So, I am hopeful things are improving.  :-)