Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
need feedback

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

need feedback

i need to get some help i have been to so many doctors and no one could help me but tell me time and i am just tired of hearing it i want to be able to get some kind of therapy- i just want my taste and smell back i dont even want to live anymore it is bad- i fell on my head last december will be a year- could anyone recommend any special clinics i could go to????
Hi!
I am sorry you have lost taste and smell. This could be due to concussion and could come back some time. . At times it is due to traumatic injury either to the olfactory nerve or to the olfactory center in the brain and this type of damage is permanent. If it is due to injury to nose internally then this may recover. The various tests carried out to detect the cause of loss of smell is CT scan of nasal sinuses, MRI of brain, allergy testing, and blood glucose levels. This is followed by quantitative smell test which helps identifies the degree of loss.
You could take some multivitamin and iron pills, and highly seasoned food items to revive your taste sensation. However, this may not be successful.  Please consult your neurologist regarding this. Take care!
I had a mTBI (brain contusion and concussion) about 3 and a half years ago.  I had terrible distorted smell and taste for 2 years and then gradually improved to the point now where I can smell and taste pretty but not 100%.  Some times it is 100%.

I tried many alternative therapies, meds etc., for other terrible symptoms.  But one thing I noticed is when I tried Neurofeedback my smell and taste improve but only for a day and then goes back to terrible.  I also took B12 regularly for nerve regeneration.  Neurologists or ENT specialsts won't be able to help you much.  Mostly they ignore this condition because nothing much can be done and is not disabling.  s your smell completely gone or you have it distorted?  If it is distorted there is a high chance it comes back to normal.

You can try the following clinic in Washington D.C. who has 30 years of experience dealing with it and I heard he does extensive testing like put you in MRI and ask you to smell and watch the brain etc.,

http://www.tasteandsmell.com/

Best.