Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
strange yellow fluid/mucous

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

strange yellow fluid/mucous

On Friday evening I had this strange Egg yolk colored watery substance come out of my nose. Later in the night I developed a rather large headache. After some sleep it seemed to go away, but then i had coming and going neck stiffness and back pain. Yesterday all day long I had a very severe headache and a stiff neck, and this morning (4/2/13) I had the same egg yolk colored stuff come up through my throat into my mouth. This time it was a little thicker in consistency. I have also been feeling post nasal drip only on the left side of my face all day. I went to my dr (of course didn't get to see my Dr.) she thought it was a sinus infection. This does not make sense to me. I could come to that conclusion if i had recently had a cold or had sinus pressure pain, a fever, fluid in the ears or something else along those lines, but it just does not set right. I have been researching CSF and I don't want to jump to any conclusions but a lot of the symptoms seem to fit except that they say that, that drainage is clear (although i have had some clear stuff as well) But my head did not hurt as badly when laying down but when upright felt like a jack-hammer going off inside. I had leaking out of my nose(left nostril only), a stiff neck, and not really back-pain but a tingling back...sort of like how it felt when coming of the spinal tap form my emergency c-section. I don't know if I am just overly cautious because i know i fought a battle of spinal meningitis as a newborn. I was hospitalized for a full month before being able to come home.  Am wondering if i should try to push forward to have more testing done if only to ease my conscience. And what further testing should i push for. a CT scan or MRI?  My head and neck feel better today but my back still feels strange.... I don't want to  over-react  but i would also hate to do nothing if something is warranted.. Any advice?
Hi!
Yes, it does appear strange. One possibility is that you have chronic sinusitis due to acid reflux. Maybe there was a discharge of accumulated fluid from nose and throat. If you have recurrent heart burns or a feeling of something coming up after eating or while lying down, then you must tell your doctor about this. You will need treatment for this.
The other possibility is that there is an infection or meningitis, however this is usually preceded or accompanied by fever. Hence, a muscle pull or spasm is more likely. Ask your doctor regarding this. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.