titanium mesh versus bone graft
My little girl (4 years old) has a craniotomy (3.7cm) postrauma (fracture with hundimiento), some neurosurgeons recommented a titanium mesh to resolve the problem. Another group a bone graft. Its difficult for parents to choose one option without knowledge.What do you recommended?

Generally bone grafts harvested from patients inner table of the skull are used to close the defect. If bony grafts are inadequate or the bone defect is extensive the defect is bridged with a titanium mesh.
The dimmension of the poro is more or less 3.5 cms. I read aobut the use of the inner table but the neurosurgeon talk me about the use of the whole skull saying that the new defect close 8 weeks after the surgery. This pro-bone graft ssurgeon said that the titanium mesh usually move, displace, out of the cranium. Thanks.

A Titanium mesh shows better reconstruction than a bone graft although the chances of displacement are there. A bone graft on the other hand is more stable. Sometimes both are used in conjunction, titanium mesh with the bone graft, you can discuss this possibility with your surgeon.