vegetative state how long statistics?
My father is in vegetative state.  He cannot do anything for himself at this time.  It has been 40 days since operation and he has been sedated for 38 days.  Two days ago they took off sedation.  He can follow commands sometimes, move his hand when told, and involuntary reflex movements.  His eyes react to light so far.  He answered my question by nodding his head yes.  Has he plateaued at this point?  He can hear.  What comes back next eyes, smell, talk, -
he did mouth words to me without sound.  Could all of the above be reflex only?

Thanks for writing in. Vegetative state is one in which where there is severe brain damage which leads to a state of wakefulness without detectable awareness. But in your father's case, he was idle all these days beacuase of sedation. And also after weaning of sedation he is responding quite actively (with in 2 days). What surgery did he undergo? And what was the reason for sedation for so long? Was he on ventilator in the post operative period?
As far as the outcome is considered i think it is favourable. You can expect him to respond to questions asked, movement in the limbs and so on. But the improvement would be complete or not can be decided upon what extent the damage in the brain has occured.
Follow the advise of the neurologist. For reahabilitaion purposes physiotherapist might help.
Take care.
I Was Just Curious.. What Kind Of Operation Did He Have ?  The Doctors Said My Daughter Will Never Ba Able To Do Anything.. She Has Proved The Doctors Wrong Over And Over Again... By Breathing On Her Own, Moving Arms, Legs, Head, Crying, Gaging, Sucking On Pacifier, Responds To Touch, Being Held, Sound, Light, Pain. Looks At You When You Talk To You (They Don't Know About Her Sight Though Because She Looks Your Direction But Her Eyes Don't Look At You)

I Was Just Curious About That Operation Because I Didn't Know There Was Anything That Could Be Done..
I'm writing a paper about euthanasia and I was wondering if you could give me a statistic regarding the amount of people who survive and recover after being put on life support. Thanks