Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
vertigo treatment and prognosis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

vertigo treatment and prognosis

I fell down my stairs, hit my head above left forehead, had a huge goose egg and lost consiousness. No memory of the event. My husband found me on the floor. I was nausious and he got me to the hosp. where I was for 3 days. They ran all the tests - still couldn't figure out why I fell. Anyway my question is - I now have vertigo- can it be treated and what is the underlying cause. I recently took a plane trip and the awful pressure seemed to help, but now it's back. What should I do now? p.s. I am 76
Hi!
If the airplane pressure seemed to help, then try the valsalva maneover (take a deep breath and blow while pinching your nostrils shut and closing your mouth). This will help clear the secretions in the tube that connects the back of your throat with your ear. Doing this maneuver 2-3 times after taking steam gives the best result in cases where vertigo is due to blocked connecting tube.
Other than this, you need to get your blood pressure checked and see if you suffer from cervical spondylosis. In both the cases you can suffer from vertigo. Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.