want smell and taste back
i had a fractuerd skull about 6 years ago and i lost my smell and most of my taste,i was wondering if there was anything that could be done about it operation or something
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Loss of smell and taste following head injury can be a symptom of concussion and this may take months to resolve. At times it is due to traumatic injury either to the olfactory nerve or to the olfactory center in the brain and this type of damage is permanent. If it is due to injury to nose internally then this may recover. The various tests carried out to detect the cause of loss of smell are CT scan of nasal sinuses, MRI of brain, allergy testing, and blood glucose levels. This is followed by quantitative smell test which helps identifies the degree of loss.
Once the smell returns, taste will too to a good extent. If you permanently lose your sense of smell, you can change your diet to include highly seasoned foods and stimulate the taste sensations that you still have.
Be careful to ensure your safety around the home by using smoke detectors and electric appliances rather than gas, or use equipment that detects the presence of gas fumes in the home.
Please consult your neurologist. Take care!