Headaches Expert Forum
Constant Headaches for more than 1 month

Welcome to the International Headaches Forum. This forum is for questions pertaining to the diagnosis and treatment of headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, cranial neuralgia, diet and headaches, exertion headaches, facial pain, migraine headaches, occipital headaches, primary headaches, tension headaches and weekend headaches.

I've been having constant headaches for more than a month...it has been a major hindrance in my life...

Every single day, I will have a headache, the worst that I've ever had (although I doubt they are as bad as the migraines that people have, but enough to make me not want to think/listen to music).

When I wake up in the morning, I will have a slight headache, it will get pretty bad around noon, and it especially peaks at 6pm. It's cyclical, so not irregular. I have taken Excedrin headache medicine for it, but it had no affect. I visited a general doctor who believes it is a tension headache. She has given me 4 different types of medications for it...(at different points in time, when found to not work.) 2 types at a type (one for the prevention, the other as a pain killer).

So far it has been 1 month on the 1st set of medicines (1 a blood pressure medicine the other painkiller), and now about a week into my other set of medications (1 an anti-depressant the other a painkiller). The painkillers help, but only temporarily.

I told my doctor about the fact that my jaw muscles, and under my chin, and my temples, (and sometimes my neck) hurts. Usually it is almost always my jaw though - if I massage it, it's quite painful, and I figured that it would help by doing so. It just made the headache multiply and spread, within a half-hour...

I also told her about my inability to eat breakfast during the days I have school. I always used to be able to, but for about a year or two I just can't(stomach is not that hungry)...and I will throw up if I do attempt. But usually right when I arrive at school, I will be hungry and want to eat.

She said that she believes it is a tension headache and that I do not need a CT/MRI scan. Is this a good call?

Not to undermine her judgement or anything, as obviously I have no idea if she is right or not, but I am wondering..do you think she is correct in his approach? I figured it is always best to get a second opinion.
Do this pranayam to relax you and help with the headache.This works gradually, so allow time to feel the benefit.Come back with your feedback.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.
Dear Friend,
Did you had any use with the Pranayam?
How is the present condition?
Will answer you, once you tell the present condition
No, no change.
-Why would they say CAT scan or MRI, not necessary. I would definitely have a one.
I was having same kind of thing. They kept telling me Migraines, got an MRI and found my sinuses were completely blocked on one side, and 25% blocked other side. I had surgery for it. I am not saying it is sinus, but check it out. Head fills with congestion, but it doesnt drain properly.
I'm in the same situation as you!  I had the worst headache of my life, drove myself to the ER a month ago and they didn't even do an CAT scan, just gave me a prescription for Vicodin saying it was a tension headache...yeah right!

Then I saw a neurologist who dg. as occipital neuralgia and gave me an occipital block. 8 weeks later I'm still dealing with this headache. I wake up feeling great but it creeps up as the day goes by.  Popping Advils worsened my GERD and I'm anxious, depressed, and fed up to live like this.

The doc said to have patience?  Patience?  It's been 8 weeks and still so much pain.....
The headache is very complex and the affecting as it tells us, which I can recommend is that you take more powerful drugs for pain such as that found in findrxonline called vicodin. Vicodin is much more effective and stronger than other analgesics such as tramadol, but also has side effects as its dose should be controlled.