Headaches Expert Forum
Severe, sudden onset headache, now persistant

Welcome to the International Headaches Forum. This forum is for questions pertaining to the diagnosis and treatment of headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, cranial neuralgia, diet and headaches, exertion headaches, facial pain, migraine headaches, occipital headaches, primary headaches, tension headaches and weekend headaches.

I am 26yr old male. 2 yrs ago I noticed a mild pain behind my right eye whenever I strained on the toilet. Only lasted a few minutes each time and I didnt pay it much attention. This went on for several months. One day while having a bowl movement, I strained too hard and had the same pain as mentioned before. However, it rapidly turned into the worst headache I've ever had. It remained for about a week before I went to the ER. CT scan was performed and results were normal. The headache slowly decreased but was still present. Since then my neurologist ordered a MRI/MRA w/ contrast and all were said to be normal. Presently, every time I bed over a little too far, or strain too hard, within 5 minutes my forehead tingles and within a half hour I have a severe headache. The duration and degree of bending over or straining, directly relates to the duration and severity of my headache. This is not a normal headache... It is a strange, throbbing, shooting pain that sometimes travels from behind my eye down the side of my neck with every heartbeat, accompanied by generalized headache on that side of my head. It is very intense and unbearable. The headache then gets more dull and travels to my forehead, feels like someone pressing on my brain really hard. Yesterday I was working upside down for five minutes and I had the described headache for 2 days straight! 80% of the time, sleeping helps alleviate it. Everyday I have a headache of varying degree, but the worst by far is when I bend over too far or strain just a little bit. I have no sensitivity to sound or light while having these headaches. These headaches are seriously ruining my life, and I am no doctor, however, only I know what it feels like and I am sure there is more to this than standard migraines. Thank you so much for your time and insight.  -Phil-

Meds I take:
Lisinopril- High blood pressure
Prilosec- Acid reflux
Midrin& lamictal- Headaches (Dont seem to help)

Dear Friend,
Well you need to avoid the activities, causing the pain.THis is the only way out i am able to think presently as all of the scans done my you are normal.
Had there been a significant finding, would had tried some therapy, but since the results are normal, medicines won't help much. It appears to be pressure related only. SO you need to purely avoid the activities causing the pain. Treatment via life-style modifications.
Please try to do life style modification.....and discuss..
Regards
The tests performed are normal, so it is time to try an alternative approach.This pranayam will help with the blood pressure and headache, as it is a holistic approach to make your body systems healthy. Do it every day, twice a day and then continue once a day for life to stay healthy. Come back at some point to report what benefits you notice.

Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Kapalbhati pranayam -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.
Anulom Vilom pranayam –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Duration : 5 to 21  times.