Headaches Expert Forum
Severe unilateral headache

Welcome to the International Headaches Forum. This forum is for questions pertaining to the diagnosis and treatment of headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, cranial neuralgia, diet and headaches, exertion headaches, facial pain, migraine headaches, occipital headaches, primary headaches, tension headaches and weekend headaches.

Severe unilateral headache

Hi, I am 30 year old female. I always had bad headaches since my teens. But they lasted only one or two days. But it’s very bad from last March. There was continuous (daily) headache at right side of the head for the whole March month. I consulted a neurologist in the last week of March; he diagnosed it as Migraine due to disturbed sleep pattern. (As my 10 month old boy was not sleeping properly at that time, I was able to get only 3-4 hrs sleep daily.) He prescribed a beta-blocker (Ciplar 20 mg) and Topomax (topamax). But it didn’t help for another one month. Then headache stopped in mid April. Doctor continued the medicines for another 2 months and gradually reduced the doses. Again when it started he increased the dose. But headache were kept coming and going. Then I showed to a psychiatrist feeling that this may be due to anxiety or depression. He gave me antidepressants. (For mild post-partum depression) I took the medicines for 3 months, and I never got a single headache in that period. Now I stopped the medicines and again I am suffering from severe headache. Now a day I am taking OTC painkillers daily. My stomach is really upset due to this. My symptoms match with those of migraine (photophobia, phonophobia, unilateral headache, visual disturbance, sometimes auras).
I am tired of taking medicines. Visual disturbance and neck pain specially affects my work. It looks bad to take leave from work frequently. It is affecting my carrier and my family life both. Is it really migraine or something else? Does migraine last for days or months? Should I do MRI? Please help me.

Tags: Headaches
1 Comment
Something natural to help you. Do the pranayam for 30 minutes, twice a day, everyday, and then 15 minutes daily for life, when you feel better.This will send extra oxygen into your systems, and control your anxiety/depression and in turn the headache will be controlled.After you start the pranayam, let me know how you feel after 3 days, 9 days and  4 weeks, and I will describe the bhramri pranayam for you.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Anulom Vilom pranayam –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.
January 18, 2010