Headaches Expert Forum
Severe unilateral headache
About This Forum:

Welcome to the International Headaches Forum. This forum is for questions pertaining to the diagnosis and treatment of headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, cranial neuralgia, diet and headaches, exertion headaches, facial pain, migraine headaches, occipital headaches, primary headaches, tension headaches and weekend headaches.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Severe unilateral headache

Hi, I am 30 year old female. I always had bad headaches since my teens. But they lasted only one or two days. But it’s very bad from last March. There was continuous (daily) headache at right side of the head for the whole March month. I consulted a neurologist in the last week of March; he diagnosed it as Migraine due to disturbed sleep pattern. (As my 10 month old boy was not sleeping properly at that time, I was able to get only 3-4 hrs sleep daily.) He prescribed a beta-blocker (Ciplar 20 mg) and Topomax (topamax). But it didn’t help for another one month. Then headache stopped in mid April. Doctor continued the medicines for another 2 months and gradually reduced the doses. Again when it started he increased the dose. But headache were kept coming and going. Then I showed to a psychiatrist feeling that this may be due to anxiety or depression. He gave me antidepressants. (For mild post-partum depression) I took the medicines for 3 months, and I never got a single headache in that period. Now I stopped the medicines and again I am suffering from severe headache. Now a day I am taking OTC painkillers daily. My stomach is really upset due to this. My symptoms match with those of migraine (photophobia, phonophobia, unilateral headache, visual disturbance, sometimes auras).
I am tired of taking medicines. Visual disturbance and neck pain specially affects my work. It looks bad to take leave from work frequently. It is affecting my carrier and my family life both. Is it really migraine or something else? Does migraine last for days or months? Should I do MRI? Please help me.

Tags: Headaches