Headaches Expert Forum
Top of head throbbing one side

Welcome to the International Headaches Forum. This forum is for questions pertaining to the diagnosis and treatment of headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, cranial neuralgia, diet and headaches, exertion headaches, facial pain, migraine headaches, occipital headaches, primary headaches, tension headaches and weekend headaches.

Top of head throbbing one side

Hi...I am a 41year old healthy female.  For the past 2 weeks I get this throbbing pain on the top of my head on the right side at the same time every night. The pain is always in the same exact spot.  The pain lasts for a few seconds, subsides and then comes and goes until I fall asleep. It happens around 10 pm every night.  It never happens during the day or when I am exercising.  I am scared of an aneurysm or tumor, but I had a brain MRI last april and a cat scan a year ago, both of which were normal. I had those scans because of frequent headaches.  My question is should I be scared?  Could something have formed or grown since my last tests and should I go back to my md?  Or is it just a rid pain or headache?  Thanks!
Dear Friend,
Once your scanning are normal, then you can be rest assured that there is no physical abnormality in the brain (tumor or aneryusm,etc).
It may be migraine or cluster headache and treatment would be solely based on your physical examination and discussion with the doctors.
Keep the stress out of your life and give yourself some time off.
Beside this, doctor's checkup is must.
Please feel free to discuss, once your consultation is over.
Regards.
I get the same kind of headaches. My doctor told me they were called "ice-pick" headaches. I thought the name was suiting, as that how I feel, like someone is stabbing my skull with an ice-pick. It also might be something called a cluster headache. Whatever it is, it would be a good idea to talk to your doctor about it.